2006 Forester throwing codes for secondary air system faults

greenwagon

Now surrounded by mountainous roads in West Cork, and 70 years old (how did that happen?:dontknow:), I'm trying to sort out my fourth Subaru - a 2006 Forester that I've been given by friends in Kenmare. They'd already spent €800 on it for an NCT retest, only for it to immediately start throwing codes (that I discovered were for secondary air system faults) - so they (wisely?) gave up and bought a new car instead!

So I'm going to need some advice on dealing with this.

My best option would probably be to disable the secondary air system, but this is a non-turbo car, and the ECU is a Hitachi.

Any thoughts?

I still have my 2005 2.0 Legacy GL, though it's been off the road for the last 2 years due to lockdowns and health problems (now sorted!), so it occurs to me that its ECU wouldn't have those error codes if it was compatible in the Forester. Or would swapping both the 2005 Legacy ECU and engine into the Forester be feasible/solve anything?

Thoughts?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome along.
I take it because you've not mentioned anything about fixing this issue that you realise that it is a costly thing to fix should you take that option. :)
I have the same issue on a '07 impreza. The CEL light has been on for a few years now because of it but this is not something that will cause an NCT failure, so if you are ok with looking at the light on in the dash, you can drive away without issue.
I actually replaced all the parts on mine but they gave trouble again and I'm looking at the CEL light now again. It passes the NCT and because it is so expensive to fix, I left it so. I do wish though I had not the CEL light to be looking at.

Welcome along.
I take it because you've not mentioned anything about fixing this issue that you realise that it is a costly thing to fix should you take that option. :)
I have the same issue on a '07 impreza. The CEL light has been on for a few years now because of it but this is not something that will cause an NCT failure, so if you are ok with looking at the light on in the dash, you can drive away without issue.
I actually replaced all the parts on mine but they gave trouble again and I'm looking at the CEL light now again. It passes the NCT and because it is so expensive to fix, I left it so. I do wish though I had not the CEL light to be looking at.

Thats what they made black insulation tape for Adrian :D

Welcome along.
Sorry to butt in on the thread but are you saying the car will pass an NCT with the engine management light on ? Just curious as I have secondary air issues that I will get mapped out, I thought the EML had to be off ???

Welcome along.
Thanks, glad to be back!

I feel I still have a good-few Subaru adventures to be had, and (though a bit rough around the edges) this Forester drives beautifully!!!

Dead-on!

And yes, I've been reading about how it's quite likely to happen again... :rolleyes:

It's three years since I last put a car through an NCT test, but it seems things have tightened-up rather in the meantime, though maybe some testers/testing stations are more easy-going than others.

But on page 143 of the June 2021 NCT Manual it says: "Pre-test Checks ... Start Engine and Check Engine / Emissions Warning Light? ... NO On any item; Decline to do Smoke Test until fault rectified."

So that sounds like a failure to me... :unsure:

Last edited:
If it's just the light for secondary air pump buy a cheap code reader and turn it off any time.

If it's just the light for secondary air pump buy a cheap code reader and turn it off any time.
I'm ahead of you on that one! :(

I bought a €20 code reader from Aldi in Kenmare, and it works really well - but that annoying P1410 code, and the P0410 one, keep coming straight back as soon as you restart the engine.

It's three years since I last put a car through an NCT test, but it seems things have tightened-up rather in the meantime, though maybe some testers/testing stations are more easy-going than others.

But on page 143 of the June 2021 NCT Manual it says: "Pre-test Checks ... Start Engine and Check Engine / Emissions Warning Light? ... NO On any item; Decline to do Smoke Test until fault rectified."

So that sounds like a failure to me... :unsure:
I haven't looked at the manual but whatever the NCT lads are looking for I can only presume it's not the secondary valve codes. My car went through the NCT in two different centres in Galway in the last two years (Sept 21 and 22) and neither of them mentioned it and the car got a Pass. That's why I would say you should be able to drive on with the those fault codes. If you fail in Cork, you should come to Galway for a weekend and do the NCT while you're here and it will still be cheaper than fixing the problem. :)

I'm ahead of you on that one! :(

I bought a €20 code reader from Aldi in Kenmare, and it works really well - but that annoying P1410 code, and the P0410 one, keep coming straight back as soon as you restart the engine.
I used to do that. In 2019 or 2020 (I forget when exactly) I turned off the light and cleared the codes when I was outside, and only went in at the last minute, and the light stayed off until I had driven 1km after coming out.
The following year, the light kept coming back on as I turned it off outside the test centre and I had to let it in with the light on, and to my surprise, it passed, and it has passed since.
In fairness, I think it used to be an automatic fail if the light was on, but when they decided to start looking for specific engine codes it doesn't seem to be a fail anymore. I guess the reason must be because they are only looking for specific codes now and nothing else matters...?
Does the car have a valid NCT at the moment? I would put it through to see what happens if it doesn't. I would check the reader beforehand though in case there are any other codes coming up. E.g. you could have a O2 sensor issue or something like that which would need to be rectified, but if you are only seeing the valve fault codes, I would put the car through if it was mine.

Welcome along.
Put some black tape over it

I haven't looked at the manual but whatever the NCT lads are looking for I can only presume it's not the secondary valve codes. My car went through the NCT in two different centres in Galway in the last two years (Sept 21 and 22) and neither of them mentioned it and the car got a Pass. That's why I would say you should be able to drive on with the those fault codes.
In the meantime I dropped in on a local mechanic I know, who is slowly doing-up a 1999 WRX STi for himself, and sought his advice on whether he thought the car would fail in Skibbereen with the engine warning light on and those fault codes.

His response was that if the car was diesel it would automatically fail on the engine warning light alone, but a petrol-engined car would not, as long as the emissions were OK.

If you fail in Cork, you should come to Galway for a weekend and do the NCT while you're here and it will still be cheaper than fixing the problem. :)
I wouldn't mind, my best mate lives in Galway, and he's just back from a holiday visiting his in-laws in Japan. But (according to the latest "league table" you've only a 50/50 chance of passing in Galway City, though in Ballinasloe it's nearer to a 60% one - mind you, I know how Galway people used to feel about being "gone to Ballinasloe"... ;)

So I might as well carry on down here, with a 51.5% chance in Skib. (though I'll see if I can get an earlier appointment, and maybe change to Killarney, where the previous owners used to take it, and you've a 60% chance) and see what happens.

I'll come back after I get it tested, and tell people how I got on.

Does the car have a valid NCT at the moment? I would put it through to see what happens if it doesn't. I would check the reader beforehand though in case there are any other codes coming up. E.g. you could have a O2 sensor issue or something like that which would need to be rectified, but if you are only seeing the valve fault codes, I would put the car through if it was mine.
No NCT, but I do have an appointment.

The donors had spent €800 on getting it ready for a retest when this new problem emerged, and it started driving very slowly (gone into "limp mode"?), and their mechanic couldn't make head nor tail of it - so they gave up and bought a new car.

A few more codes have shown themselves, and been deleted, but it's only showing Secondary Air System ones now.

Last edited:
In the meantime I dropped in on a local mechanic I know, who is slowly doing-up a 1999 WRX STi for himself, and sought his advice on whether he thought the car would fail in Skibbereen with the engine warning light on and those fault codes.

His response was that if the car was diesel it would automatically fail on the engine warning light alone, but a petrol-engined car would not, as long as the emissions were OK.

I wouldn't mind, my best mate lives in Galway, and he's just back from a holiday visiting his in-laws in Japan. But (according to the latest "league table" you've only a 50/50 chance of passing in Galway City, though in Ballinasloe it's nearer to a 60% one - mind you, I know how Galway people used to feel about being "gone to Ballinasloe"... ;)

So I might as well carry on down here, with a 51.5% chance in Skib. (though I'll see if I can get an earlier appointment, and maybe change to Killarney, where the previous owners used to take it, and you've a 60% chance) and see what happens.

I'll come back after I get it tested, and tell people how I got on.

No NCT. The donors had spent €800 on getting it ready for a retest when this new problem emerged, and it started driving very slowly (gone into "limp mode"?), and their mechanic couldn't make head nor tail of it - so they gave up and bought a new car.

A few more codes have shown themselves, and been deleted, but it's only showing Secondary Air System ones now.
"gone to Ballinasloe"...........I haven't heard that in a while :ROFLMAO: Lads like @Sheriff would probably be too young to realise what that means :)
I heard on the radio this morning that Galway is just above the average for a Pass rate. I think it said we are 53%, but you are right, that is more or less 50/50 anyway.
I'm curious/nosey as to what the previous owners spent the €800 on. My car went in to limp node many years ago. I got it to a mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it when he started it. He took the car out 4 times and drove a short round trip of 5 miles each time, and no issue, and it never happened since either and so it remains a mystery that is forgotten about now.

I heard on the radio this morning that Galway is just above the average for a Pass rate. I think it said we are 53%, but you are right, that is more or less 50/50 anyway.
I think you may have misheard the pass rate - the exact figure is 50.04%

I'm curious/nosey as to what the previous owners spent the €800 on.
Sure, I have the FAIL report: Front axle 66% imbalance, Brakes, N/S headlight, Battery mounting, Middle rear seatbelt not visible, Ball joints both sides, N/S suspension rear link condition.

That was all fixed anyway.

My car went in to limp node many years ago. I got it to a mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it when he started it.
I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, and I cleared all the fault codes - there's been no limp mode since then!

Last edited:
Cruise control?.....none of that fancy stuff in my car :D
It's a first for me, and I doubt if I'll ever use it - not over the Caha Pass, or Moll's Gap, anyway! :ROFLMAO: (They'd be regular routes for me if I need to head northwards, or north-west, from here.)

The nearest I ever got to "cruise control" was in the beautiful Alfa Romeo 105 Giulia GT (my girlfriend at the time named it "Gina" - after Lollobrigida) that I had in the late '70s/early '80s, which had a simple "hand throttle" on the dashboard that you could set for cruising on the auto strada... That was some car, and the survivors are going for anything up to £70,000 these days - Alfissimo!!!

Last edited:
Got the blanking plate gizmos in the post from Poland today (but not fitted yet), and removed both the air pump relay and its 60amp fuse, as well as the 10amp secondary air combination valve fuse from their little fuse/relay box beside the main (engine compartment) one - it's now showing only a P0418 fault code.

Last edited:
Back