2.35 Vs 2.5

Running 8.4:1 myself, A bit higher than standard! A lot of lads seem to use 8:1 or 8.2:1
I was running 8.9:1, I think that's why she kept blowing the heads off her, she was mapped to 1.6bar on the 321t+ with 11mm ARP studs,
She was ballistic, But could never get it running reliable!
I thought the low octane yank fuel would make mapping of a high compression engine very tricky,
Dan

is 8.5 not standard Dan?
[quote author=skinny-controller link=topic=21950.msg265651#msg265651 date=1268264990]
I thought the ej22t was sohc and the ej22g out of the 22b was dohc,are you putting it in the type r ken or a new build :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Ej22t is a single cam engine, but that doesnt matter as be using my own heads
[quote author=scooby1wrx link=topic=21950.msg265656#msg265656 date=1268265962]
Seen brand new 2.5 closed deck blocks a while ago on ebay, they were by some crowed in the states but cant find them now, i remember doing the sums and from the states you could save about €2000 even with customs, verses buying from flat4 online who was probably getting them from them and making a packet any way, http://www.flat4online.co.uk/catalo...block-stage-2-impreza-0007&cName=impreza-0005 NEVER BUY FROM THIS GUY :lol: found this while looking around last night,
http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=230619 :thumbsup:

Edit: Not sure if the second link is still working, seems to have stopped for me, its a 2.2, 91 legacy ss closed deck block for sale in the states for $300 :thumbsup:
[/quote]
WHATEVER YOU DO... DONT BUY FROM FLAT4ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR ANY OF HIS OTHER NAMES!!!!!!!! do a search on Scoobynet for this duckhead

I do remember finding statistics that the EJ257 was 8.2:1!! Ej255 (WRX 2.5) is 8.4:1
I'm not sure about the EJ20's! I know the Leggy's have higher!
Dan

Good few in Uk are messing with higher comp ratios now, everyone keeping very secretive about there ratio, Yanks have been using alcohol injection for along time so maybe that helps them run the high comp ratio, im not sure if 8.5 is standard ratio or the most common aimed for, i think the 2.5 in america ran low comp ratio, due to there heads, im not sure do

The 6cylinder Svx engine is in my opinion next to immpossible to do correctly in a road car, alright for track car where you dont mind bits hanging out where they are not ment to be.. like your Rad etc etc, Andy F new car is going to use the Svx Lump, in a bugeye shell with Hawkeye front.
Just put a link up to your engine on 22B Al, guy looking for a 2.5 .
2.35 is as simple a build that can be done really, no linering etc etc needed, only maching needed is the crank conversion, everything else is just bolt together, its only a stroker, and not having to bore it out is the big advantage, nice thick walls around the bores.. yum yum:)

Anything stopping you boring a EJ22 CDB out a bit to fit bigger pistons and go for 2.4L?? Every little bit helps!
Feck it, go for the 2.71L :dance: :dance: :dance:
No 2.33L, No 2.1L, no no defo 2.5L
You poor ba**ard, so many choices! :icon_cry:

Sorry to put another thought into the mix!
Isn't it the short throw EJ20 crank that lets the standard 2.0L rev to 8,000 RPM, the Revs Vs Torque debate does favour Revs for light weight cars!!!
And so bore out an EJ22 CDB to maybe 100mm (slightly bigger than 2.5 bore), and use the EJ20 crank and that way, you would probably have near enough 2.4L but she'll rev to 8,500rpm!
That's 1000 rpm more than a EJ25 cranked motor! and it wouldn't affect spool, as you will still have the CC's
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God love you!
Dan

Boring out the ej22 to that would defy the point really Dan, its the strenght of bores that is the key, and thats down to there thickness, you would have to reliner which again would defy the point of the 2.35, 2.35 are ideally built using the least amount of over sizing as possible, so if you could get away with standard bore size all the better
You could down stroke the 2.5 aswell Dan, mite help the rev thing

Deadly!! :icon_grin:
Jaysus, there are so many great options,
I suppose the tried and tested 2.35 is the way to go for reliablility!
Proof of pudding is Brian Moore's (Ex Philip Burdock) Type R, 2.35 based on EJ20 CDB
Built something like 3 and half years ago, never rebuilt, doesn't use oil, doesn't squirt the contents of the sump out of the breathers!
You can't argue with that!!
The only thing that puts me off that, is that it's the obvious choice! :wall:
Dan

it mite be a case of working with wt i have but we`ll c nothing decided yet, budget allowing it would be a good option to work off

Don't the new ages have AVCS on the inlet side anyway? then the hatches got it on the exhaust aswell!
I think!
Dan

Back