1st gear popping out on deceleration

KrakityJones

ISDC Club Member
Obviously impossible to say on a forum but am I likely looking at the beginning of the end of the transmission or could it just be something that needs tightening up? Only happens if I'm say starting to move in 1st, have to back off quick before I get a chance to change to 2nd (traffic or whatever), barely moving in otherwords. Everything running as smooth as silk otherwise.

Hard to know exactly what you mean from post but is the Cluch slipping ?..stick it in 3rd when starting off come off cluch easy try move off and car should konk out... if not sign cluch slipping also at motorway speed in high gear accelerate and if rev rise without normal increase in speed ull know..this can be very obvious if slipping badly

It’s not your clutch if it’s jumping out of gear . . Does it feel like it’s engaging into 1st properly could never worn linkage or something jammed around the gearstick . Or it could just me the gear box .
If you can rule out the first 2 issues them it’s Probley the gearbox

No shortshifter or anything like that, pure stock.i don't think it's clutch related, current clutch has only done about 30k miles and I know how that feels when it's giving.

Hard to describe properly but no issue putting it in gear, pulls away fine but if you were to drive in 1st gear, like 3-4 mph, crawling and let foot up off the accelerater with 1st still in gear it'll hop back out into neutral, never when accelerating only when slowing. Thought it did it to me before but assumed I hadn't clutched in fully. Noticed it today when I was stuck crawling along in traffic.

I'll get it checked out properly just wondering whether anyone had that happen before.

Had it on a few Toyota before and not long after 3rd was the same wouldjudt jump out and shortly after that I needed a gearbox as it just wouldn’t engage 1st ot 3rd .
Check all you linkage and the linkage under as the plastic bushings go in them so it mightn’t be getting pushed all the way forward . Also check your gearbox mounts in case you were off roading 😉

No offroading recently (well nothing that would have put much strain on it anyway) Balls, that doesn't sound promising. Right sure will start with checking the linkages, hopefully just something there, not that hopeful though given the mileage I'm up to.

How much time did you get before 3rd gear started, and how much time after before the whole lot went wallop out of interest ?

2-3 weeks about 1000 KLM’s till 3rd went then 2 days later it had to be parked .
Check your linkages first abs do From there

Same thing happened me with a Toyota box, would put out of third when not under load. Needed a clutch also so changed both together.

Right I missed the start what happened again 🤣🤣🤣
Just hold it in the gears it's hoping out of job done... i am always here for good advice 😉

Back