04 wrx impreza exhaust centre section

blacktar

Club Chairman
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Changing the back box on my 04 wrx impreza from an sti box to a prodrive box, Also want to change the centre section ( just infront of back box), as some corrosion on current box pipe work and on centre section, this section currenty has resonator, i am looking at putting in s/s straight section here, to tidy it up when i am changing, and want a small bit more rumble, not to much any issues with doing this and what effect will it have on sound, looking at these or anyony have any other idea's, cheers
http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/shop_detail.asp?productID=334
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_53&products_id=448

or could you just throw a powerflow section in here?

Hi Adrian I have 3inch rcm pipe work on mine and center I got has a resonator I think deleting this is a bad idea as it will make the car drone on a long spin my advice is change out the back box first see how she sounds before deciding on the center section when I replaced that with my first back box (afterburner) it made a huge diff to rumble in a positive way (rest of system was stock then)

That's my 2 cent anyway

Cheers Ciaran. Def don't want a drone anyways. Might throw on the box but I know the prodrive box is quiet enough. must look and see can I get a s/s centre section with resonator for standard 2.5 inch fitment. I need to change this anyway. I wonder would you still get a drone with a fairly quiet back box.

If the down pipe still has a cat, then a straight through center section should give you a louder noise, which you are obviously after, without getting a bad drone at cruising speeds. A drone would only be really bad 4.5inch+ tailpipe.

I have a full decat milltek system (I think it has a resonator in centre), big tailpipe and I could sit motorway cruising in it all day but give it beans and it roars. Just another option if you wanted to go straight through :icon_biggrin:

Ya cats still there same as Oe. Just planning to eliminate resonator on centre section with straight pipe.

blacktar. i have a brand new scoobyworld centre section for a new age if you are looking to buy one. paul.

Lads, Ciaran is spot on... If you delete the resonator in the centre section you will get a drone at cruising speed -- of course it can be made worse by also fitting a decat and 3" would be louder than 2.5" and big wide tailpipe etc; however without some sort of resonator in mid section it will be loud and drone quite a bit regardless.

I have a free flowing resonator fitted from H&S (less restrictive than oem centre resonator box) and wished had gone for a double resonator free flow. Without a resonator mine would be unpleasant as a daily or on long drives and even now is loud enough even though centre and back box is only 2.5" with conservative enough exit on a Cobra TP48 backbox.

If you don't want drone I would strongly suggest to get at least one, if not a double, resonator in the mid section. It will not have an effect on flow performance if high-flow resonator compared to a straight through and also a resonator doesn't have a huge impact on volume (only some impact when compared to the backbox which has the biggest volume impact along with cat)... it just takes out the drone bit as it filters specific frequency pulses that travel along the inside of the pipe wall.

Have a look at these: http://www.cobrasport.com/index.php.../subaru/impreza/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-2.html
If you click in on some of the exhaust options there are youtube vids with sound etc... also go have a look on youtube and do some searches and some good sound comparisons on there. Even better if someone in the club has a system with and without resonator you can listen to.

:thumbsup: Cheers Keadeen, the cobra looks a nice bit of kit aswell, ya ye could be right going to look into it a bit more, went through the drone in cabin years ago, not nice def past that stage in life now i think.

Back