ABS light

scoobyjoe2007

Petrolheads
lads had my car in for nct this morning and it failed because the ABS light wasnt coming on ?????

when i turned on ignition ( not starting it ) it came on for a few seconds and went off again..... is it supposed to stay on till car is started ?????

i asked the guy who tested it what it could i do... he said he didnt know but it could be a big job....

just wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on what to check.......

thanks

ya it comes on an odd time when driving

ya i can feel it kicking in when i jam on on the brakes.... i checked that on way home.....

Well then the nct centre is talking sh1te mate, get your a$$ back down there & speak to the manager.

They also have an official appeals process listed on their website if they don't sort ya out!

Sounds like there's nothing wrong with it to me.

Do you get a heavy shudder up through the pedals when you brake hard (a kind of rock breaker feel)?
Does your ABS light flicker on when the above happens?
Is the light off when accelerating?

If yes to all of the above, go back and kick the examiner in the crotch.

i'm open to correction but i'm not sure the light should flash when under heavy braking!!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:
do the nct check braking on a dyno????
never had to do an nct
just trying to understand how this guy could fail the car!!!!

is that what they do???
he left the premises on his own in your car!!!
fook that..i wont be gettin any nct then!!!!
:shock2: :shock2:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=10893.msg130069#msg130069 date=1227107494]
is that what they do???
he left the premises on his own in your car!!!
fook that..i wont be gettin any nct then!!!!
:shock2: :shock2:
[/quote]

Thats what they do Marko, they're fully insured & they only drive up & down outside the centre.
They put some sort of device in the passenger footwell that measures braking forces as they can't test the brakes of 4wd car on their rolling road thingie.

Never heard that before, sounds like your man was just looking for something to fail your car on. If i were you i would just go back and say you have it sorted and chances are they will come out, have a quick look and pass you

As everyone has said above it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your ABS. AFAIK the light will only come on while there is extreme braking so a test going up the road shouldn't cause it to come on. If thats what he has failed you for then unfortunately i don't think that tester knows what he is talking about. Was he an Irish lad?

the guy in the nct is taking the piss out of you cos (A) they are not allowed to road test any cars and (B)they can test 4wd cars on their brake syatem. If the ABS light is not coming after the car is started then the system is ok it will only come on if there is a fault in the system . Its a warning light thats how they work.

[quote author=ben link=topic=10893.msg130187#msg130187 date=1227124768]
the guy in the nct is taking the p**s out of you cos (A) they are not allowed to road test any cars and (B)they can test 4wd cars on their brake syatem. If the ABS light is not coming after the car is started then the system is ok it will only come on if there is a fault in the system . Its a warning light thats how they work.
[/quote]

You're wrong there mate :thumbsup:

not sure bout that ben!!!!
the abs light can extinguish on starting giving the indication that all is well and then once you move the light will come on as the wheels gather motion!!!!
open to correction but this can happen in some cases!!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:

Back