turbo upgrade?

S

scoobywrx

what type of turbo should i go for? been thinking of a vf 34 or vf 35 any of the two.

if your a 2.5 a td05-16g or 20g but some where along that line. :ponder:
suppose it depends on what u want from your car.

i want a good power gain of about up to 350 bhp its at around 300-310 bhp at the min was told id get no gain from a td05 16g :dunno: was told go for the vf 34 or 35

i have a vf34 ready lined up to buy brand new aswell i want to stick it on and a 3 port boost solenoid n then a tweak to get 350bhp outa it.

You'd prob want a bit more than just sticking a bigger turbo on to go from 300-310bhp up to 350bhp. Wasnt there guys on here talking about bigger bottom ends etc to get a believable 350bhp? Just wondering where did you get it rolling roaded to give you the reading of 300-310bhp..? Not being smart or sarcastic honestly but unless I see a RR print out from somewhere else than AI motor sport I have my own personal feeling about the accuracy and repeatability (percision) of their results. I have a little more than you done and ill just tell you I havent got that power, but just lately got her RR and tuned again and I have EATEN more 2.5turbo skyliners, EVOs, 2 different GTiR's with work done than whats normal, and the torque from my car honestly it would literially pull the face off you, actually Im a bit afraid of the car, just something to think about WRX, best of luck

i act got a reading on the laptop from bob rawle on my mapping session

Ok and fair play to Bob absolutely, I cant send PM's so Ill put it here, fuel reg, Walbro pump, A full exhaust system including up pipe (different one than I was looking at from you), The Apexi ECU, BOV, lightened flywheel, twinplated 6paddle clutch, (looses less power through drive train to wheels) Up rated plug leads, deeper top mount, iridium plugs, Mapped for E5 and Booster, :thumbsup:

alright ok mate wat readin is your getin then on rr? u can see below wat mods i have done :thumbsup:

Yeah I can, well Ill just put it this way Its not 310bhp and its mapped for 1.4bar :D but Im delighted/afraid of how quick it is, but this is coming down to opinion, which is not really important Im just saying, and I apoligise for ruining your thread, really very sorry about this, but just get a plausible print out, but at the end of the day if your happy thats all that matters. But getting back to my orginional point, I think you may need to get more inline of fueling products (injectors for example) along with internals revamped to see the magical 350bhp. Id say that most stis could prob run big hp for a matter of minutes, than blow the engine, or a series of fuel cuts would occur. Just if your going to spend money on your car, (and it looks F**king lovely by the way) spend it wisely and do the job right.

yea i no mate thinking of pink sti 550cc injectors aswell. and cheers mate :thumbsup:

i dont no lad, but im going for the magical 370ish bhp and if you look at my spec, id rather have a 2.5b.e, but i dont no nothing about the wrx 2.5.
is it the same as the 2.5sti.
il will have a 2.0 with plugs, fuel pump,bov, 740 injectors, fmic, fuel reg kit, rcm induction, simtek and standard internals.
ring street performance or sti tuining theyl tell you exactly what you need. :thumbsup:
you wont goi wrong then

i have been talkin to dave from sti tuning he said to get a vf 34 or 35 turbo, 3 port boost solenoid and 740 injectors or the 550cc sti pink injectors... then bring it back to him to have it tweaked again by bob rawle

I think you've ticked all the right boxs there! see if you can get injectors somewere between 550 and 740cc
My 740cc are running 82% at max at 386bhp so I think they'd be to big!
550's with a fuel reg maybe, but 650cc would be ideal I would think! run it by daveleggy if he's mapping it!
Dan

yea i no was thinkin 550cc ones and the vf34 turbo and a 3 port boost solenoid :D do i need fuel reg? its mapped n all like just need to get it tweaked again after i do all this :thumbsup:

the vf34/5 would be choice if your on a budge for turbot........ as readily available second hand.. figures 325-345 give or take.

Andy Forrests my 03 wrx 2.0 was putting out 375 bhp before he sold it and al he had was a full exhasut system (3" inc headers and up-pipe), induction kit, large bore Samco inlet pipe, PFr7 spark plugs, Walbro Fuel pump, an sti tmic, bigger injectors (740 cc I think) and a TD 05 18g turbo.

It ran that power absolutely fine on standard internals. It was mapped on Optimax (genuine 98.5 octane). He tried a Td 05 20G but went back the 18g as he said it offered then best balance between spool up and power. The STI tmic was at its limit at 375 bhp though.

I wouldn't recommend running that kind of power on standard internals. Its all right for Andy to tweak his cars map on a daily basis but you'll need long term reliability with a much bigger safety margin built in so maybe you should consider forged pistons and whatever other forged parts you can afford before bolting on a big turbo and winding up the boost.

Frawls

I wonder what the difference between the vf34 and the 18g!
I don't think andyf sells the 18g anymore! It not on his site!!
Should be some going second hand somewere!
I do love my 20g but if you are going for 350bhp and savage torque, which is a realistic target for a wrx engine, maybe the 20g (400+ potential) is a bit overkill!
Dan

Id go for an 18g, or if not just leave it the way it is.

Dan you say the 20g is a 400+ Potential but really VERY few make over or even hit 400bhp. 90% of them make 385ish and some only make 350 - 360 so Its not classed as a 400bhp turbo. The 321H , TD06-49 or SP40 along with other garrett core turbo's are 400bhp turbo's but the 20g could be nicer on certain cars.

Dave even has a second hand 18g for sale so id go for that. Or a brand new gen mitsy TD05-18g or TD05-20G with a years warranty is about €1400. Also I wouldent take the bhp number from the ecutek run as gospal, I have a graph of 332bhp and 332lbs from a run we did after Andy F mapped my car a couple years ago and it was not that high I can tell you.

@ scoobyman wrx - What turbo is on the car at the moment that has it at 310 - 320 ? Is it a standard TD04 ? :ponder:

Damo

its standard wrx turbo on it at the min. i have a brand new vf34 turbo waiting there to buy for 350 pounds which i think is a bargain for brand new one. i am not going to stick it on just yet until i have gathered up all the bits i need to do this turbo upgrade :thumbsup:

plans are vf34 turbo, 3 port boost solenoid, 550cc pink sti injectors. than take it back to get remap again tweak it again for what mods i have added on.

Back