Replacing Downpipe

STiBrian

Octane Boostaholics
Have to put back in the catted downpipe for NCT in the next few days. Can you tell me will any of the exhaust companies do it, and what is the going rate for this?

Some people pass with just the 1 CAT in the center section. You could try it?

im decatted as well just one in the center section..i reckon if you run 85% e5, 15% e85 less emissions is that right?..use some of those engine cleaners before hand you should be fine..thats what im going to do when eventually i get nabbed for the nct

I reckon sticking in the centre box is a fairy handy number, but would be a pain if she still fails, so can anyone tell me if fitting the downpipe is a major or minor job?

130e? Fcuk thats expensive coz am gonna have to take it back off as soon as its nct'd

it'd be 2 hours or so..

you'd be well handy in an hour..

intercooler off/on

and possible rusty nuts and bolts.... :shock: :shock:

very hard to put a set rate on it?

as you could spend 2 hours on 1 car and uptp 4 hours on another.. plus possible need replacement bolts, gasket etc etc

It's a ba*tard of a job, you need plenty of WD40 and a spare bag of knuckles :D  as the heat from the exhaust make the bolts solid. It's gonna take 3 hrs if it hasn't beem off lately. Copper grease the bolts when you stick them back as it'll leave it handier when re-fitted
You willl need it in for the NCT unfortunately.
Cheers
John

i think e130 was a fair rate...........

as said could run upto e200 and thats only 1 way..

you gotta then put it back on...

well ya see lads...my top mount is off...i have newish bolts on the turbo....and have no heat shield.... :thumbsup:

Be careful removing the lambda sensor! they break very easilly!
Best of luck with her!
This is why I'm happy to sacrifice 10-15hp for my sports cat!
Dan

Cheers for the bad news lads, will give Ian in Cartorque a call in the morning, might just be missing out on the NCT though, have left it a little late to be doing this! The new exhaust system is only on about a year I think so hopefully the bolts won't be seized solid. Does anyone have the number handy there for Ian?

When i got mine done, alot of exhaust companies wouldn't do it.
So went at it myself and it was a pain in the ass.
If you have access to a lift it'd save ALOT of time. Its hard to get to some of the nuts on the turbo.

Let us know if Car Torque do the job for you as I have a decat downpipe to be fitted.

Sorry Andy won't be able to update you on that one. I finally got through to my mechanic this morning, so won't need to go to Cartorque. My mechanic has been away in the middle east doing rally support. He is taking my car for service in the next couple of weeks and is going to fit the downpipe for me. Like I was told on here he did say there is a likelihood that the 5 bolts will be seized on & may need to be machined off so not a nice handy little number, possible intercooler off to get at the bolts!
But I'll certainly post up an update once its done :thumbsup:

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=4651.msg49842#msg49842 date=1198066148]
Sorry Andy won't be able to update you on that one. I finally got through to my mechanic this morning, so won't need to go to Cartorque. My mechanic has been away in the middle east doing rally support. He is taking my car for service in the next couple of weeks and is going to fit the downpipe for me. Like I was told on here he did say there is a likelihood that the 5 bolts will be seized on & may need to be machined off so not a nice handy little number, possible intercooler off to get at the bolts!
But I'll certainly post up an update once its done :thumbsup[/quote]

Brian, your mechanic wouldn't be Gary Emmett would it?

Gary has taken off the downpipe on my old WREX and refitted so many times now he could do it in his sleep but he always comes across one of the turbo studs that wont budge and just sheers off. Dont worry he has all the WRC equipment in his garage in Lusk and just re-threads the turbo and fits Turbo head studs from the EVO as my car used an IHI Mitsi turbo.

You always have to take the TMIC off to take the turbo off as the down pipe is bolted to the turbo which is obscured by the TMIC above it. with the TMIC off this would be a good time to inspect it for oil in the inlet and you could wash it out with some petrol and leave it overnight to dry. You could also heat wrap the down-pipe before refitting it. I would re-fit the heat shield of you still have it as the brake fluid resevoir is just above the turbo and the extra heat form an exposed turbo will eventually dry out gasket seals and cause heat soak in the induction box/pipe. Alternatively you could just heat wrap the turbo along with the down-pipe.

Gary can do this job faster than anyone but arriving with a red hot turbo is going to make the job more difficult so driver her easy.

Frawls

Back