Aluminium wheel nut snapped off when changing!

eliroche

The car had aluminium nuts on it and I've changed them for black steel nuts but when removing them one of them has snapped off, who can sort this out for me?
Any help or advise welcome!!!

sehatene.jpg
7adyde2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your handy with a drill you could drill a few holes and tap it off or tap a smaller socket over it an see will it grab

i had a lock nut break before on mine
one off the members on here welded a piece on to it so we could get it off
did a great job and saved my wheel having to be drilled off

being alloy so should be soft and snap off after a 6mm drill hole . or if ya know a carapenter ask him for his good 6mm chisel and it will cut through it after a couple of good blows chisel wont be so good :facepalm :icon_grin: :thumbsup:

@scoobysub - unfortunately I dont trust myself to be handy enough to drill that off!!!
Something like what happened with scoobycolm would be ideal!!!!

Balls!!! Ok any recommendations on someone with experience in drilling things like this off??
I dont fancy having a go, id make it worse!!!

I'd use a narrow chisel, once it goes half a turn it should come off without much hassle

Yeah it's the initial half a turn that's the problem though, it was the most stubborn one to remove and then low and behold bang it snapped!!! I dunno would a chisel get it to turn that little bit that's needed.

Ciaran did one for me years ago, thats the problem with shitty soft aluminium nuts. Biggest problem trying it diy style is going to be not damaging the wheels.

Baz has lovely new wheels there, if he damages mine I'm sure he will give me his!!!!!!
Agree with ya though robbie, aluminium nuts are pure shite!

From memory ciaran made a sleeve and then drilled the aluminium nut. Give him a call maybe ratger than fooking up one of your wheels. From personal experience, always bettdr to let a professional at it ratger than attempting a job which coukd easily go horribly wrong.

Or else price refurbing that wheel only as against paying for someone to do it.

have same problem again but aluminium lock nut
Worn due to the socket cracking open and wearing the lock nut
Not as bad but just as dangerous
Next wheel nuts I buy will be like the ones Robbie and Brian got
Once I get this old one off :nono:

In all honesty not every job has to be carried out by a site trader (no offence Robbie)

I wouldn't attempt to give Eli a hand getting it off if I thought I was going to wreck a wheel , ill look at it and if a socket will possibly do the job Id give it a go. Plus if I do wreck the wheel , nice set of BBS there ;)

Back