Cost of rebuild

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
No....... mine is still intact but im just curious how much you would need to be spending on parts to get a reliable engine/transmission that can run say 500 flywheel horse power, and what exactly is involved to do this? And also approximate ball park very rough labour hours to do i. Im just thinking if anything did ever go pop i would definitely want to rebuild it better and stronger while at it but i really have no clue if the costs involved for doing this. Start talking parts and figures and lets see how quickly i can be put off this daft idea!

to run 500 is easy said than done dan depending on what block you want to start with and how far you want to go with strenghting ect,then you need turbo capable running the power you want then ecu,injectors the list goes on, oh and gearbox maybe 6spd so i prob spent 10k there for ya lol.

you could get a 2.1 off the shelf fairly reasonable that would do 500 but you still need all the supporting bits and of course mapping.

i know, thats the thing i have no clue what you would need to do or where to start for it, maybe 500 is a bit optimistic so! lets go with 450. I would want it to run and not blow up at whatever power figure i was to go for!

well just say things went tits up you could prob reuse ur heads and get a 2.1 off the shelf and refit with your current mods then do it in stages 4k wud prob get u well on the way to having a 2.1 fitted to you car then save and mod as you go type thing then build your self up to 450/500

i wouldnt go near 500 bhp in an every day car dan and to be honest it wouldnt advise anyone to go down that route even in a track car.

unless you have 20grand to throw at a car dont waste your money.

if she does go bang. 2.1 stroker is the cheapest for safety if done right but it will still cost you 3/4 grand.

yes i know maybe a bit OTT now that i think of it! but i cant see me selling this car anytime soon as i would get much for it so why not have some more fun with it?! What does a 2.1 stroker kit consist of? What kind of power could you see with the 2.1 and a bigger turbo to suit? Any upgrades you can so to the gearbox to help it take more power or are the usually ok? i wonder if my 5 speed is the same of any of the impreza sti equivalents.

id say your 5 speed would be the same as my wrx 5 speed, so would only take about 350/360 so you would have to go for a 6 speed to take the power.

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_enginecomponents.htm this is one of the 2.1 stroker kits out there but it wouldnt give much more power, only a handful of bhp and torque but it would take the extra power of a bigger turbo.

i would reconmend never going for more than a 20g turbo and only run about 1.5 bar of boost, this would make the car very reliable but still run big enough power

Kenc is currently in the process of building a 500hp block..follow his thread..he has the advantage of doing it himself but and the experience of going wrong..from what I've seen very few people get to 450/500hp without a few failures along the way

how much work is it to get a 6 speed box in there? As far as i know from a quick search online i have a TY757VBAAB gearbox in mine, need to check that against whats actually in it, i dont like the short ratio 5 speed box at all its terrible on the motorway and on long trips. 6 speed would rock! I have a couple of grand i have to spend on this month but that will more than likely go on the handling and new tyres and get a few niggly things sorted, but i need to have something else on the books for later in the year and next year, i get bored easily!

dan there is lots of companies doing good deals on stroker kits like lateral and scooby clinic as said above and are both in around 1495 pounds also ali burrows great guy to deal with and you should check out the scoobyclinic billet turbo range the sc36,sc38 and sc 400 are very reasonably priced and getting great reviews :thumbsup: its all about what you want and what you can afford

Dan if i was in your situation, I would cap it at 400bhp... There is an awfull difference of cost in building a 400bhp SAFE car and a 450 SAFE car..
You might escape with your own box if its like Sti 5SPD AT 400.

To give you an idea... if you had a 2ltr Blob STI..
Fuel pump
Injectors
fMIC OR Standard TMIC
Turbo that gives 400
and Remap

I dont know how far the Legacy is off spec of the STI so i dont know what your block is capable, what your heads are like etc etc... You could always stick a 2.5 motor in it and have nice torque for the road but i personally am not a Fan of them..
2.1 closed deck blocks are probally the cheapest built motor to buy, if you went this route you could run 450 safe or as safe as can be got when tuning, the cdb 2.1 is capable of a lot more than 450 so you are running a safe set up same as a newage engine ran at 400, its probably safe to 450, but at 400 you should be keeping safety in mind..
In my opinion, its all about overspeccing and not running your top limits.. but its costly and addictive, and at some point becomes more about building/ achieving it rather than how fast it is..

If your heads were good and wanted 450bhp and needed 2.1
Id say to have a 2.1 and a turbo, alone you are looking at 4500-5500 and thats with the 2 just sitting in a box in your kitchen, 400-500 injectors...
If you need a 6spd conversion well thats 3k.
If you need an ECU well say cheapest will be 1k+

So thats dam near 10k in parts and bits not installed in your car..
and god knows what the labour will be.
Engine oil and fluids will run into 300 odd, head gaskets, and all the other gaskets and seals say another 300, Heads skimmed another 150-200. So there is another 1k out of no where.... Im getting depressed now :icon_cry:

ha i can see how it all quickly adds up alright! sounds like you just realised how much all yours is costing Ken! So what would be good sized turbo to go for to get it to 400 bhp and what size injectors would you be needing? Ideally would like to keep to a twinscroll turbo since it would require less changes to the car, but then the twinscroll turbos usually cost 300-400 more compared to a single scroll.

Is there anything i can do to my vf36 to get it up to 400bhp? stick in an 18G wheel or something like that? How much would something like that cost?
sc42 from scoobyclinic is 1495 sterling + vat
lateral performance MD321H twinscroll is £1974.00 inc VAT

so i might look into what i can get done to the vf36 to get more ooomph from that.

i ran my spec c at 400 using 800cc injectors and a hks gt2835 twin scrool and 475 with same injectors at gt30 rotated both with decat and equal lengt headers,smaller injectors may do but always go bigger to future proof

i see some DW 740cc injectors for about 400 euro which should do the job. Might look into hybrid vf36 options and might work out cheapest to get to 400

dan the sc40 will see you at 400 wth supporting mods and its not dear i think 950 pounds the sc42 is a 420 turbo and all the new sc turbos are billet so you're on a winner straight away :thumbsup:

the sc turbos would have been mapped on a higher octane fuel from pump so if compared to our pump fuel it wont make 400 or 420 unless meth or d likes is used keep that in mind also dan.

Back