Help please!!!!!!! 01 STi problem

Irishtommy

I am coming to the forum as a newbie but a troubled newbie!!!! I recently ventured in to the world of Subaru :thumbsup: and for the first two weeks I was a happy camper but all has changed. My 01 Impreza STi has been lodged in intensive care for the last few weeks with no join of finding the Gremlin!!!!So follows the problems
Driving home one evening about 30 mins in the journey (Just cruising not dogging it) the car started to cuck each time the check engine light flashed stopped at a relations at the point and stayed for an hour.Came back to the car it ran as good as ever.Brought it straight to the mechanic.Got oil oil filter changed.Also thought I had dirty fuel so I got the tank emptied(a full one at that) and new fuel filter put in!!
Got the car back and it was running for a week until again driving home in more or less the same point it cucked twice and engine shut down.This time though I couldn't get it to start. Each time I would turn on the ignition the Rev counter would hop straight to 2,000 Rpm without turning over the car.So towed the car to the uncles. Flattened the battery trying to start it. Jumped it it ran grand back to the mechanic. He still hadn't seen it cucking!! This time it got a cam shaft sensor and a new fan belt (Old fan belt was hairy so just changed it) Back on the road on a Friday morning. Headed for Blanchardstown. Got to the N3 slip road for Blanch car starts to cuck again. I get it to the Blanchardstown centre and it was running on the turbo timer but cucking bad.It turns itself off and won't start. I leave it go shopping for 3 hours.Come back and won't start. So tow truck comes and we head for the mechanics again. This time I get a new walbro 255lph Fuel pump. So Saturday just gone I get the car back at 11 and it breaks down at 2. Each time the diagnostics is ran it shows no faults. Each time the car stops when you turn the ignition back on the Rev counter goes to 2,000Rpm.
I am at my wits end!!! At this stage I am baffled what the issue could be. Is there any god out there that could sort this machine out. The idea of breaking the car for parts has started entering my head cause I can't see the end to this problem.
I love driving this machine and it looks the mutts but I am just at the end of my tether!!!!! :hammerhead:

[size=16pt]Please HELP me!!!!![/size]

Where are you based, there are several site traders on here, all highly recomended.
Im sure if you ring any of them they will get to the cause of your problem, i personally use STiTuning (Davelegacy) the last 3 years and he knows these cars inside out, 0857715343
Also CiaranRSRA knows his stuff 0878330772.
Look in the traders section.

welcome along tommy sorry to hear of your troubles and as said above get onto the traders in hear they all know there subaru's inside out,

have faith it will get better :subaru:

Got talking to Dave there.Sound chap and knows his sh*t!!! :thumbsup: Going to try and get the machine up to him this weekend and leave it with him to see what he thinks!!! :pray: Please let him be the saviour!!!! :pray:

[quote author=Irishtommy link=topic=22963.msg275013#msg275013 date=1271681100]
Got talking to Dave there.Sound chap and knows his sh*t!!! :thumbsup: Going to try and get the machine up to him this weekend and leave it with him to see what he thinks!!! :pray: Please let him be the saviour!!!! :pray:
[/quote]

Dave knows his stuff alright, your in good hands there :thumbsup: :subaru:

Alright lads, time to update this post. Got the impreza back on Saturday from Dave @ STi Tunning and all I have to say is it is flying!!!! Problem ended up being a damaged ECU board. I got a secondhand one in from grade A subaru in the UK. Besides the ECU no other parts were required. So moral of the story car is sorted after 2 months of hardship. Dave had it for a week and sorted it and didn't cost me near what I had paid out beforehand. So if you need anything from an oil change to an engine build to deep routed issues sorted my moneys on STi Tunning to sort it for you.
On a side note when the car was brought to its roots (country roads) Sat evening I couldn't believe :shock2: how good this car was so now its time to start accumulating points on this licence losing machine!!!!!!!

[size=20pt][/size] :subaru:

How did it the ECU blow in the first place? I'm having a similar problem myself, the cars in the garage with Ciaran at the moment.

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=22963.msg280956#msg280956 date=1273654917]
How did it the ECU blow in the first place? I'm having a similar problem myself, the cars in the garage with Ciaran at the moment.
[/quote]
Dave seems to think it might have been jumped wrong previous to me owning it or maybe bad wiring could have caused a short.He said its a rare problem that he never seen before but through a process of elimination he got it down to the ECU. I was well impressed with his depth of knowledge in the car. Give him a shout he is very helpful.

Im hearing a lot of people blowing ECU's from jump starting lately .....
Mate of mine had a GTi golf do the same ...had to scrap the car as the ECU cost more than the car itself ....

Must find out the correct way to jump start in future , lest it happen to me

great to hear your motoring...

i had a vito van and a friend brought it and deaden batt and then jumped it and blew ecu.. the main dealer said it a common problem in the vito.. he said turn on park lights before connecting jump leads and the lights will take the surge not your ecu... had to scrap van aswell because cost of fix was way to much... :wall:

well for us new Subaru owners - could you tell us the right way to jump start it - incase its ever needed ?!?!?

Back