2.35 Vs 2.5

Animal spec-c

Petrolheads
i need help deciding do i stay 2.5 or go 2.35 let me know wt u think d 2.35 seems popular in england and can take a lot of power and d 2.5 if done right will provide lots of flbts and power pros cons ect :ponder2:

2.35 is the ultimate build imo, has to be based on the infamous ej22t cdb do... i dont trust liners.. just more to go wrong
Very little in difference in torque, and wont be noticed, might see it on a dyno print out, but 2.35 can make more bhp.
2.35 will be rev quicker and easier

2.35 all the way

did they make a ej22 in a closed deck block?

My car being a fatty, I go for as much torque as possible! long stroke, big displacement
Your car being much lighter, I would go towards power and revs!!
So 2.35 based on either a EJ20 or EJ22 CDB, You can get the oil squirters for the pistons (like the EJ22T) fitted
Have fun man!
Dan

Ive done alot of research into these too blocks, and the torque difference is minimal, and maybe none. The 2.35 has been replaced by the 2.5 as it is near impossible to get an EJ22T block. And as far as i know, builders opt to remove the oil squirters, as it is safer set up without them.
I am afraid of my life of liners, there is so many failures.. maybe someone like Ron at Axis or Rigoli brothers might have it masterd..
The 2.5 imo is tempormental, with again alot of wishy washy stories and alot of guys opting now to close the deck, or add support

If we could get Simon to come in and voice his opinion, as he has a 2.35 and has mapped everything else aswell.. maybe he will shoot my theories down :icon_cry:

there are strengthners that can be added to the 2.5 to add more reliability but still seems uk engine builders favour the EJ20 and EJ22.....

I suppose it's what you ar eaiming for is relevent!
If only looking for a torquey 550 bhp then a reenforced Ej25 would pobibly be best,
If planning to go bigger boost and more power then a CDB is obviously a stronger block!
Dan

No replacemnt for displacemnt,I never thought subaru made a cdb with sand cast method because its less accurate than the die-cast method,I have seen serious engine damage with liner movement,so i wouldnt recommend liners,you can still blow a cdb as quick as a odb only difference is the cylinders in the cdb will be stiffer,because the cooling jacket around them will be smaller and with able to stand higher cylinder pressure,either way you will be able to extract more torque with the 2.5 as the engine will generate more psi thanks to the bigger displacement. :thumbsup:

Regarding 2.5's
It was pointed out to me recently, that the Ej257 cylinders are week compared to a closed deck because the cylinder walls are only supported at 3 points arond its diameter,
There is a mod that can be done were they machine 6 extra "rods" that fit between the outside of the cylinder wall and inside of the block casing!
Looks like a great "happy medium" idea! if Ej257 standard casing is good for 550, then this must be good for mid to high 600's!
I beleive it was Stu on SI that posted pics and some info! He may see this thread and contribute!

If you buy a full Cosworth built block of cosworth, Is that closed deck?? They are good for 600bhp, aren't they? :dontknow:
Dan

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_cosworth.asp

They say it's good for 800bhp, and the pic looks like it's a standard block, and they make no mention of liners or re enforcements!!
Maybe, some of the broken cylinder liners are down to bad builders/tuners??
God knows, there are alot of them around!! :icon_evil:
You can spend a fortune buying savage strong everything, and if it's not built/assembled/tuned correctly, then it will still break!!
Dan

I might be of course wrong, as I'm not involved into real motorsport etc. - but I think we miss one point here, you can build powerful
engine using both blocks, even rather weak ej25 - but how long will it last?

The case is that most of really powerful engines are being built mainly for motorsport, where usually guys have money and other resources to rebuild engine much more often than you expect for the daily driver.
And it's actually even a part of that sport, simply work and costs naturally involved - taking the engine off the car every couple of races max, to make inspection at least and/or replace weak/faulty parts if necessary in preparation for new races.
And actually engine block is nothing else here like another part, so it's less about durability in longer time, more about capabilities of taking high power/torque, even at a cost of durability.

So the main thing is - what do you really want that engine for? What are your aims in terms of power and torque, too.

Personally I would rather go for 2.2 and stroker with reasonable amount of power and torque if you want it as a daily driver.

Hello Al,

IMO a 2.35lt Closed Deck Block is the way to go :thumbsup:

2.0lt revs with 2.5lt torque :thumbsup:

Its a really hard block to find though :wall:

You will have to go State-side for a fresh one, if you can find it :ponder2:

Otherwise a UK Built Engine for sale :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

http://www.scoob.co.uk/typer/ej257build/block.jpg
That is the inserts i mentioned, interference fit.
I thought that the 22B was a semi closed deck block.
2.5 standard block is an ideal fast road car, and imo with rods and pistons and bearings should be fairly safe for 450bhp, after that i am not sure, there are lots of guys that vouch for them for over 500, but there has been a good few failures, the top of the bores are very badly supported where it needs to be, that with inconsistant block cases from Subaru, reports of new engines being oil guzzlers, or having piston slap due to not been honed or torqued correct, bores being oval etc etc
More and more are now adding support, this has been done for a good while by the yanks and Aussies, seems to be getting more popular in UK now,
Liners are extremely strong, but they have to be flawlessly machined and installed, liners dropping and causing headgasket failure is probably most common sympton, heard of liners spinning aswell.
Seen as do the power you have been at already Al, i presume your going for 500 or 550
With a great selection of direct fit 500+ turbos now available i was thinking the same, and guess what???
I purchased myself a newly BUILT 2.35 BASED ON EJ22T CLOSED DECK :dance:

Back