Need a little help identifying a model and some other questions.

Minotar

Sunday Drivers
Can anyone tell me the model by this,i got it via mywheels.ie WRX D Gc 848
Im trying to figure out if its an STI or just a WRX.Its claimed to be a "lightweight model" RA.Generally when you hear lightweight it usally means just lack of electrics and some other features,a basic model with lightweight slapped on by the manufactors to sell them,well thats how it was with starlets and most other cars ive seen,so does the saem apply to Subaru's?

Also what to look out for apart from the usual,id know my way around a car fairly well,just wondering if there's anything specific i should look for in the impreza range?

And if it is indeed a 97 STI or WRX,should i get the ECU remapped (if its possible,its not on the starlet) or get get an aftermarket ecu to suit the irish fuel?

Also is there a general rule of thumb when modifying the engine,say no more than 350bhp ATF?
As in TD05,injectors,catback and so on?

Thanks in advance
Dan

**And sorry if this post is confusing,as in if im using the wrong models etc,im not used to Impreza's.

That code is wrong mate.

If you get the full applied model code you will get the answer. Can cross reference here

http://www.imprezatypera.com/identifymodels.htm

Lightweight (ra) models from subaru are proper lightweight. Thinner glass, aircon, electric windows etc removed. Door handles & mirrors generally not painted in body colour (how much weight can that really save). But then some of the ra ltd models add back in some of the luxuries above.

EDITED to add based on your post I think your code might be GC8D48D which would suggest its a wrx 4 door. Not an STi & not a lightweight.

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=21271.msg258011#msg258011 date=1266221066]
That code is wrong mate.

If you get the full applied model code you will get the answer. Can cross reference here

http://www.imprezatypera.com/identifymodels.htm

Lightweight (ra) models from subaru are proper lightweight. Thinner glass, aircon, electric windows etc removed. Door handles & mirrors generally not painted in body colour (how much weight can that really save). But then some of the ra ltd models add back in some of the luxuries above.

EDITED to add based on your post I think your code might be GC8D48D which would suggest its a wrx 4 door. Not an STi & not a lightweight.
[/quote]
Ok thanks,ill see if i can get it as i got that code from entering his reg in mywheels :doh:.I asked and he did say the clocks were in KMph aswell.
If it helps heres a picture,its what put me off in the first place
Impreza.jpg

Well i suppose that wouldnt be too bad,good to know some do it right:)

Sorry,whats DCDD?

DCCD

Driver Controlled Center Differential....Basically its a manually controlled centre diff that allows you to choose how much torque to send to the front or rear, so you can go from 50/50 to 35/65 to the rear. With 65% to the rear helps reduce under steer.
It came on type r's and type ra's from V3 on.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=21271.msg258023#msg258023 date=1266222287]
DCCD

Driver Controlled Center Differential....Basically its a manually controlled centre diff that allows you to choose how much torque to send to the front or rear, so you can go from 50/50 to 35/65 to the rear. With 65% to the rear helps reduce under steer.
It came on type r's and type ra's from V3 on.
[/quote]
Ah ok thanks,ive seen that in a friends type ra :)

[quote author=dohcturbo link=topic=21271.msg258027#msg258027 date=1266223576]
Is that the pic of the car?
[/quote]
Yep

09/96-08/97
WRX type RA
GC8D47D
280bhp
Manual
TY752VB5BA gearbox number

09/96-08/97
WRX type RA STi Version 3
GC8D4DD
Manual
TY752VB5CA gearbox number

Ask him what the gearbox number is.

So it has the grill of and the bumper of an sti and coloured mirrors :ponder:
Im beginning to think its a WRX with some si bits,maybe the clocks too,that possible?

He said it had "lightweight" bonnet and wings,i think thats what made him think it was the lightweight,are they all like this or no? (please dont be filler :lol: )

Now being honest,im afraid of my life getting this and having the engine die on me shortly afterwards.Is the main reason that they're just not mapped for the right fuel and general tits drive them like a civic (high revs,not meant as an insult) or something else?I just want to know what to look for.

*He just said its the GC8D48D so its the WRX,at least thats sorted.

if you cant lift the bonnet with 2 fingers, its not lightweight, takes me two hands on my wrx.
but that can be changed aswell.

get more pics, where is it for sale?

Get yourself a real RA with service history and you should be fine. RA's have closed deck blocks-much much tougher than the open decks. I dont like the look of that one above-certainly not an RA-owner is just tryin to pawn it off by sayin it has lightweight bonnet etc because compared to other cars-subaru bonnets are very light.Its like 330bhp glanzas you see advertised-large pinch of salt required.

[quote author=dohcturbo link=topic=21271.msg258033#msg258033 date=1266225397]
if you cant lift the bonnet with 2 fingers, its not lightweight, takes me two hands on my wrx.
but that can be changed aswell.

get more pics, where is it for sale?

[/quote]
Yeah im going to have a look at it this week and ill know then
Waiting on them;)
Donegal

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=21271.msg258034#msg258034 date=1266225479]
Get yourself a real RA with service history and you should be fine. RA's have closed deck blocks-much much tougher than the open decks. I dont like the look of that one above-certainly not an RA-owner is just tryin to pawn it off by sayin it has lightweight bonnet etc because compared to other cars-subaru bonnets are very light.Its like 330bhp glanzas you see advertised-large pinch of salt required.
[/quote]
Well im just trying to sell my own car at the minute and he offered this as a straight swap and it'd get me out of a hole.
I honestly think he just doesnt know,someone probably told him it was an STI going by the clocks,can blame him for lack of knowledge,im pretty much in the same boat.

Would you believe im selling a GT (the one im swapping) and had the set up running at 223ATF lol
And i actually know of 2 starlets running just a few bhp shy of 330bhp with a massive spec costing triple mine,and mine cost about 5k :doh:

get the codes before you go traveling, it wont take him seconds to send them to you.
get pics of the engine, interior, rear.

dccd is the roller switch that pushes the power to the rear wheels.

honestly like b4soon said, im not keen on that car either. even if it is a wrx ra, defo not an sti ra. roof vent is in hide. :lol:
how mush is he asking for it?

[quote author=dohcturbo link=topic=21271.msg258043#msg258043 date=1266226073]
get the codes before you go traveling, it wont take him seconds to send them to you.
get pics of the engine, interior, rear.

dccd is the roller switch that pushes the power to the rear wheels.

honestly like b4soon said, im not keen on that car either. even if it is a wrx ra, defo not an sti ra. roof vent is in hide. :lol:
how mush is he asking for it?
[/quote]
I wont be traveling far lol

At the minute im going on the pretence that its a WRX, and €4,500

[quote author=dohcturbo link=topic=21271.msg258060#msg258060 date=1266227230]
youl get a lot better with your cash than that wrx.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1153963

http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=19804.0

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/893953

not 100% if this is an sti, i cant see a vent but its dame nice.
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1132909

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1118504
[/quote]

Believe me i know,but the problem is getting cash which i dont have and not likely to get.
Basically a guard told me she sees the car again with no nct she'll take it which is grand,she's doing her job but i cant afford to see the 7-8k i put into it get scrapped

[quote author=Minotar link=topic=21271.msg258040#msg258040 date=1266225836]
[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=21271.msg258034#msg258034 date=1266225479]
[/quote]
Well im just trying to sell my own car at the minute and he offered this as a straight swap and it'd get me out of a hole.
I honestly think he just doesnt know,someone probably told him it was an STI going by the clocks,can blame him for lack of knowledge,im pretty much in the same boat.

Would you believe im selling a GT (the one im swapping) and had the set up running at 223ATF lol
And i actually know of 2 starlets running just a few bhp shy of 330bhp with a massive spec costing triple mine,and mine cost about 5k :doh:
[/quote]

Would you buy a car off someone who doesnt even know what it is??? How well serviced do you thing its likely to be?

Back