engine swap

J

johnroake

just want to know if it is possible to take out a 96 wrx engine and drop in a 96-97 sti engine. or do u have to go changing loads of stuff about the car.
cheers lads

You can use bottom ends etc,but as a whole engine no,i dont think so, all the wiring is differant,and the ecu wont match.... :thumbsup:

Is the wrx engine broken??
I'd imagen there would be a fair few electrical and plumbing issues!
Get on to one or two of the traders,
I know Davelegacy had an old shape (pre 92) legacy with version 6 sti running gear in her at some stage!
Dan

As above, you can use the bottom end no probs, but the heads and the intake manifold will have different wiring.

As for going from a wrx to an sti engine of the same model years, a standard ecu swap will have it running perfect. or get an apexi ecu etc. and have it mapped.

An early 96 would be a V2 and a late 96 upto late 97 is a V3, The ECU is different, has different conectors.

Check the chassis number: GC8C = is from Aug 95 to Aug 96 (Version 2)
GC8D = is from Sept 96 to Aug 97 (Version 3)

Actually scooobymaniac,you can not just swop the ecu from a 96 sti into a 96 wrx....the map settings are differant...so that wont work.... :thumbsup:

I would of thought they would be same to fit???? as long as it was same model, i.e v4. and if not could he not put full sti engine in and use his old inlet so he could plug her in and get an apexi if sti ecu wouldnt work?? and if it does just plug all in withouth changing inlet, couldnt he just plug sti ecu in provided both are japs????? :ponder2:

Not as far as i know,if it was that easy we would all be looking for sti ecu's.

Iam sure Dave or one of the traders on here could clear it up more for us..... :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=12739.msg156259#msg156259 date=1234556573]
Actually scooobymaniac,you can not just swop the ecu from a 96 sti into a 96 wrx....the map settings are differant...so that wont work.... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Map Settings?? The ECU controls the map sensor

But if your taking the whole engine from an STI V3 for example and drop it into a WRX V3, The standard STI ECU will run it

The ecu controls the whole engine buddy,retards ignition,advances it etc etc,why would it only control the map sensor...???

Totally disagree that an sti ecu fitted into a wrx will work....as said all the map settings in the ecu not the same....

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=12739.msg156299#msg156299 date=1234562487]
The ecu controls the whole engine buddy,retards ignition,advances it etc etc,why would it only control the map sensor...???

Totally disagree that an sti ecu fitted into a wrx will work....as said all the map settings in the ecu not the same....
[/quote]

Never said it ONLY controlled the map sensor, I know it controls the whole engine, but you swapping the whole engine!! And the ECU plugs are the same for wrx and sti of the same model years. I do beleive it will work.

Sorry read that wrong then....

But still do not agree that a sti ecu will work on a wrx......why do we pay so much money to get re-maps.....??
and change to apexi ecu's on earlier cars...???

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=12739.msg156305#msg156305 date=1234562901]
Sorry read that wrong then....

But still do not agree that a sti ecu will work on a wrx......why do we pay so much money to get re-maps.....??
and change to apexi ecu's on earlier cars...???
[/quote]

Becuase of non-standard upgrades, ie turbos, injectors, exhausts etc. A re-mappable ecu can do just that, be re-mapped. The standard ecu can't. You can't adjust anything on some earlier ecu's. eg. air/fuel mixture, boost levels etc.

There is alot more things that can be adjusted with a re-mappable ecu.

A standard ecu can be mapped....mine is....called ecutek....??
any scooby from 97 onwards can get an ecutek......
anyone before that gets an apexi....

i cant really understand what you mean about ecu and running map scooby? for talks sake if sti engine fits straight in without any plug in prob, both are jap, and you put sti ecu belonging to engine in and it physically plus in sure that is the ecu for that engine,so it will run no prob, ecu doesnt know but its back in donar car.. when i done Turbo tonys car, that was a 00 irish turbo, and i fitted a ful 00 sti engine in, straight plug in, and started it and run it with stanadrd irish ecu from the irish car, now as i told him he wouldnt be getting benefit of sti engine till he mapped it, but if i had of had an sti 6 ecu and his car was jap aswel i could of used that, could of used it in his irish one but have to change cam and crank terminals around, jap and irish are different.

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=12739.msg156313#msg156313 date=1234563344]
[/quote]

i thought an ecutek map was from v5 onwards ?

[/quote]

V4 or V5 onwards can get that done but we are talking about V2 or V3 models which you can NOT re-map

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=12739.msg156316#msg156316 date=1234563517]
[/quote]

i thought an ecutek map was from v5 onwards ?
[/quote]

Not sure on that but always thought from 97 onwards could be mistaken.... :ponder2:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=12739.msg156317#msg156317 date=1234563553]
[/quote]

V4 or V5 onwards can get that done but we are talking about V2 or V3 models which you can NOT re-map
[/quote]

Thats what i said..........

ecutek can only be used from v5 v6 on. by v5 we generally mean 99, but some late 98 cars are version 5 aswel, v4 v5 v3 v2 v1 may buy an apexi fc or other ecu. v5 v6 engine will not plug into a v4 loom

Back