looking to get a legacy B4

Z

zizi8862

Hi

Im thinking about buying a second hand 2002 legacy B4, because i've never driven a legacy or a subaru before I was just wondering if anyone can give me any tips or heads up.
Also ill like to know if there are common problems on the 2002 legacy b4 models and are they expensive to run???
Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated

Cheers :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club mate! Go to the introduction section and introduce yourself :)

I'm sure one of the leggy lads will be along soon to help you.

Regards,
Stephen.

There doesn't seem to be many problems wih he B4. Lads on here run themon Maxol E5 with no hastle and others get them mapped for peace of mind.

Theres a few for sale on here in the sale section here that have been looked after by the owners from the first registration in Ireland fror good money to. Well worth alook.

The other lads will be along in time though to give you there thought on the B4 but I know you won't regret getting one.

Welcome to the club zizi8862. :thumbsup: :subaru:

Are you looking to buy a fresh import or one that has been on our soil already?
Dont be fooled by a possibly cheaper one in a garage or the warranty lark as it will cost you to get mapped, belts etc done (properly!).
Try find one owned by someone on here that has had all necassary work done, use search button too, plenty of info floating around these forums.

Only recurring fault i've seen is the knock sensor going about €100... and i've heard a few people with gearbox problems (including myself).. Great car though, I absolutely love mine to bits and never intend selling it..

oh thanks guys for the info.

Does the B4 break down easily or are they expensive to maintain and run???
I have some friends saying B4s can sometimes get quite unreliable :p
I dont reli know much about legacy or subarus

Oh, and whatever you are buying, either garage or private, unless they have receipts, be prepared to do the timing belt and full service, and also budget for a remap... Also budget for a good alarm if the car hasnt already got one... Might seem a lot and quite overwhelming but so worth it in the end...

Mine has never broken down, regular oil changes every 6 or 7,000kms (might be overkill, i dont know) should see you right... In a 64litre tank, you can squeeze 500kms out of it if you stay below 4000rpm... But its very hard to stay below 4,000

They are as reliable as any comparible car, once it is maintained properly.
As with any high performance car they arent that economical and you cant drive the knackers off them when cold etc but all in all im very happy with mine and couldnt fault it.
Have the car well over a year now, use it everyday and it doesnt miss a beat..

check out the for sale section .... details are there on mine . or follow the link eric put up :subaru:

[quote author=zizi8862 link=topic=12105.msg146334#msg146334 date=1232451504]
sorry but what does remapping the car mean?
[/quote]

it means that you need to change ecu to suit the fuel here and its safe to drive it then, because they run on 100 ron over in japan so thats why you have to get all subarus mapped for our 95 ron fuel

Well I wouldn't say that all Subarus have to be mapped here in Ireland. It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you plan any mods for the car to increase performance I'd say a remap is essential. However there are plenty of lads running their cars on E5 (or E5 with booster) and are not having any problems.

The car is a great car, loads of power low down and when the second turbo kicks in - make sure your wearin a nappie first time! lol. Also you might not have heard about the VOD (Vally of Death) its basically a gab when the second turbo is spooling - occurs between 4000 - 4500rpm. Its nothing to worry about on your test drive and driving can be adjusted so it doesn't become a problem! Also a remap can reduce the VOD (so i hear!).

Where you looking at one? Better off staying away from some places. Like the lads said best thing to do is have a look at the for sale section here, should be one or two going.

Best of luck
Alan

I have a 02 myself. Not a major problem with it yet after a year almost. Regular servicing and it'll see you good!

Damo's car is a very nice example in the for sale section! Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Great car all together, I've had a couple of small probs but nothn too serious, It was my own fault as i did't ask for help before buying the car, one thing i'd say that is essential after you buy the car is go too a garage that has a diagnoastics machine, either one of the lads on here or someone you know for better tale of truth, And get them too plug it in and see if there is any faults, you have a comeback if you get this done straight away. Don't rely on anyone tellin you the car is perfect, Testing the car will be your truth. it will only cost €40 or €50 too get this done. And you will know the car is perfect. Also i run mine at the minute on E5 and Boost (NF). But am hoping too get the car Mapped with Down Pipe in the comming future. I'll do all together. Any questions, dont hesitate too ask me or anyone on here. Everyone is willing too help. :thumbsup: :subaru: Damo's car in for sale section is a Top Motor :thumbsup:

Welcome along :subaru:
As above, good idea to get the diagnostics done to make sure everything is in good order.
The advantage of the revision D model (May 2001 onwards) is that it has the Denso ECU and (in my opinion anyway!) the sensors are more reliable.
I don't find it that expensive to run, fuel economy isn't the best but not many 2L turbos are! :icon_biggrin:
The main thing is the fuel, run it on Maxol E5 if it's available to you, and a good octane booster :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=12105.msg146401#msg146401 date=1232466145]
stop all this craziness and get an impreza!!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:
(runnin for cover)
[/quote]

Here.. Here!! :icon_biggrin: Bloody Legacy's... :1poke:

Back