Xcar rates AWD vs. FWD vs. RWD

scoobycolm

ISDC Club Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlnw2SUgY6U

With snow and ice blanketing large swathes of the United States over the past few weeks, commuting hasn't been easy. Among some drivers, there's an ongoing debate about how much all-wheel drive really helps when it gets slippery and whether rear-drive is as bad in slick conditions as many people think. Xcar Films puts some of those beliefs to the test in its latest video by showing off three very different cars taking on a trio of low-grip challenges.

Xcar's picks for the test include the fairly plebeian, all-wheel drive Subaru Impreza, the somewhat plush, rear-drive BMW 120d and the sporty, front-drive Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy. Things start out easy with a hydraulic plate forcing the back end out on a wet skid pad. From there, the tests get really interesting with a slalom on simulated ice, and the cars finish with a high-speed cornering challenge through a soaked turn.

While an obvious winner emerges in the end, keep in mind this is hardly a scientific test of grip. For better accuracy, all three vehicles should be wearing identical tires, and the same driver should be behind the wheel of each one. Still, Xcar's examination is a fun chance to see how vehicles react when things get slick.

I believe the biggest danger comes from drivers used for FWD buying BMW's... that car must be handled way differently in turns and majority of ppl holding licence(notice that I did not say drivers) do not respect that.

[quote author=Zheiko link=topic=44067.msg508513#msg508513 date=1424964653]
I believe the biggest danger comes from drivers used for FWD buying BMW's... that car must be handled way differently in turns and majority of ppl holding licence(notice that I did not say drivers) do not respect that.
[/quote]

I'd say your spot on, that's part of the reason I stayed clear of getting a 325i. The awd saved me more that once

Back