WRX Not Starting!

Peter1234

I bought a 93 WRX from Japan that landed on Friday, delighted with the car... however it doesn't start!

At first we had figured it had ran out of fuel, filled it and no joy,

Removed a plug and it was dry so am I right in thinking its not flooded?

It has spark however it the injectors don't seem to be triggering, fuel is getting as far as the rail,

Than thought possible the ECU had been fried by some numpty fitting a jump pack on the wrong way... tried a mates ECU from a 96 WRX but that didn't work (the ecu he has is a plug and play aftermarket one but figured it should at least fire up using it,

I'm now thinking crank sensor or cam sensor? Cleaned both but still no luck, going to order both in the morning but just thought id chance my arm if someone might have any ideas. I'm told the car drove both on and off the ferry but I haven't managed to start it as yet.

Cheers, Peter

Yeap, its priming... pulled off the fuel line before the filter and turned on the ignition, had good pressure... tried the same on the line after the filter to make sure the filter wasn't blocked and good pressure there also.

I was told the car drove off the boat last week and subsequently ran out of fuel.

Could be a few things peter . There’s no alarm or anything on it .
Cam or crank sensor after that if it has fuel and spark
Are the pipes on the right way from the fuel filter if someone else took them off .

No alarm or immobiliser from what I can tell...
I was thinking it has to be a fueling issue... dirt or something but the injector not triggering seems odd.

Pipes were welded onto the filter, hadn't been off for years so don't think they are on wrong.

I'll try a crank and cam sensor in the morning and see how it goes.

the clowns at the port have habbit of puttting jump leads on the wrong way , did they blow the main fuse?
happened me before with a twincam from the port

Did you try toe it up the road to start it either? with it in gear

Wouldn’t turn over with main fuse gone . .
Im guessing it turning over but not starting . ? Also there should be serious pressure at them fuel pipes you renoved at the filter and not just a flow of petrol .

id say it’s your pump . The dirt thing can’t happen really
leave the ignition on for 1-2 min and then try it incase it’s trying to built pressure

Throw up a few pics when you get her going, nice to have vintage tax in over a year!

Soooo after many checks and rooting i have found the problem... or at least a problem and its a big one!

Rust in the tank.... and the pump and the lines and the filter and inevitably the rail and injectors, it was never going to start.

The car was in storage in Japan since 09 and looks like some moisture appeared in the tank, fuel removed by the ferry company leaving the pump to suck up some of that debris,

On the plus side, the underside of the car is mint!

Attachments

• IMG-20211111-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20211111-WA0020.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20211111-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20211111-WA0022.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20211111-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20211111-WA0025.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20211111-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20211111-WA0024.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20211111-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20211111-WA0023.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 31
Good man peter least it’s a simple job . Half an hour will drop the tank down and then clean it out or replace it
They left the tank empty and it rusted instead of leaving it full to prevent it . 👍👍👍
Car looks clean congrads hard to beat fresh imports 👍👍👍👍

Good to see ya found the problem, I sent a screenshot of your wanted post to Kevin Markey , I think he has almost everything you need .
Looks fair clean underneath, enjoy her when it’s done 👍🏻

Back