window tints

mart

Sunday Drivers
Anyone know what the law is on getting windows tinted, Or where you can find this information out for certain, as you hear differing stories.. :roll:

I had my rear windows tinted in my old scooby!they were a 'medium tint' and i had no trouble what so ever!it passed the NCT with them aswell!i also had a deep sunstrip on the front but i took it off for the NCT!as far i i know the front windows and any tint on the windscreen may be illeagal! :thumbsup:

I found this so I did :thumbsup:

well, to put it simply, there isnt any! the law states that the windscreen and both front side windows must allow 70% light transmission. how they got to this figure im not sure, but if you drive a modern renault, citroen, ford, vw, rover, etc, chances are that your front glass measures 65-68% straight from the showroom!

technically,the dealers broke the law when they sold the car! this is our wonderful government for you, (which is why i dont bother voting) anyway, what it means is that any film applied to front side windows will not be legal-ish.

i say legal-ish because although the police state 70%, the ministry of transport (who are the geezers with the light testing kits) should only issue an advisory if the glass reads 45% or lighter, but then if youre stopped by the feds for tints (usually outside a max power show) it doesnt matter if youve got tints above 45% or not, the law is 70%.

this applies to every vehicle on the road,no matter how old.what is more important is the "dangerous vehicle" level. any window film above 30% should only be ordered to be removed and maybe a statutory £30 fine.

any filmed window that measures below 30% is classed as " a dangerous vehicle" and can be instantly impounded and transported away,which you'll have to pay for, leaving you with a bus ride home with all your homies!

you could also be prosecuted for driving said "dangerous vehicle" which comes with a hefty fine and min 3 points-something to bear in mind if youre a new driver or have a bagfull already

remember,points dont mean prizes when it comes to keeping your licence. more importantly, your insurance could be invalidated should you need to make a claim.

just to confuse you a bit more, the percentage rating on the film is not the same as the reading you will get when its fitted to the glass. it depends on the thickness of the glass, the origional tint of the glass and the quality of the film.

typically,(with the film i use)

50% film will read from 37-32% on most modern cars

35% film will read from 23-18% on most modern cars

20% film will read from 11-7% on most modern cars

5% limo just manages 0.3% on anything.........its dark!

so basically, nothing is legal but 50% should only get you a ticking off,unless you were smoking crack or summut when you got blagged. in which case you'll probally need darker film to avoid such intrusions-but then you'll probally get blagged cos the feds couldnt see if you were having a toot or not.

now all this lot is ment as a general guide and not for use in court so dont go sueing me if its not totally correct. i could go on about the different types of film and why it costs so much but my beer has run out so its time to go.

Its based on English law but the Gardai are copycats so Id say ours is pretty simlar

well twit is the word..if you get a right jobs worth your in trouble, i must check with the nct..see can they shed any light on it.....

Back