Whats the perfect bhp/torque?

tractorman

Had this chat with a few fellow petrol heads in the past weeks.
Im of the opinion that 320-350 is the best for irish backroads. Anything more powerful and you have the be
Careful of the throttle in mid corner and exit. You also have to start braking well before the corner.
320ish split gives you enough straightline performance and enough for track and hooning, that you will stay with most other machinery around.
Nice to get other opinions

personally id say 350-400 , anything more is unusable for the majority of driving . but then again depends on whether fwd, rwd or the best, awd .

a good driver is quicker than a good car !

the more power , the less drivable imo

alan , what does the t25 put out atm .

how many 350+cars does the club have ?

considering more power in the future (400+) , but i know it will be money in the bin

Between 320-350hp in a classic is enough for most on a back road
New age 350-400hp with the extra weight but will cost a lot to get that power .

personally id say 350-400 , anything more is unusable for the majority of driving . but then again depends on whether fwd, rwd or the best, awd .

a good driver is quicker than a good car !

the more power , the less drivable imo

alan , what does the t25 put out atm .

how many 350+cars does the club have ?

considering more power in the future (400+) , but i know it will be money in the bin

Might also do a poll of bhp figures

Suppose it depends on supporting mods too (and that includes the driver lol), as well as what torque goes with the Bhp and how much of the power is "under the curve" as opposed to just "headline figures" (and how progressively it is delivered)...

With suspension improvements, better brakes, better tyres, more aggressive geo setup etc... the power can increase...

Bog standard then 280/300Bhp (and similar lbs/ft torque) for Classic, and 300/320Bhp New Age is plenty for most IMO.

My Hawk has standard brakes (yellow EBC pads), standard shocks and springs, quality road tyres in 235/45/17, but uprated droplinks and ALK...
It's running around 325Bhp and 538Nm (397Lbs/ft) (Deltadash mapped by BRD), which is not "that" high in bhp but the torque makes up for it and is available over a wide rev band (power comes in at 2500-2600rpm, max torque at 3400rpm, and power builds till about 5800-6000rpm, and after that tappers off and better to grab another gear from about 5500 on).
It is at an enjoyable power level now... although I'd say the car could do with another 30-40 bhp and maybe another 20-30 lbs/ft without detracting from that enjoyment (probably make it even more enjoyable in fact). After that it will need better brakes, full poly bush treatment and more aggressive geo setup to remain enjoyable and controllable at my personal driving skill level (other more skilful pilots might feel more confident and would happily carry more power without wanting/needing control mods).

The v3 Classic I previously had was running around 320bhp and 310 lbs/ft (dyno'd and mapped by JGM with very progressive power delivery and plenty "under the curve")... fully poly bushed, uprated droplinks, ALK, Tein suspension, DSP2500 pads with standard brakes, aggressive geo setup. I found it very enjoyable at that power level and felt "more alive" than the hawk. It probably could have also taken another 30-40 bhp as well as torque, but not much more without first upgrading the driver. At the power level it was at it was possible to "loosen" the back end in the corner to get some oversteer to tuck it in, but in a very controllable way... allowing to tuck in the car and partially "steer" with the loud-pedal. Keep in mind it was only running 215/45/17 quality road tyres, so plenty scope to improve traction was left.

Would have to agree with the above, my classic I'd say was very similar to yours was great fun to drive and as you say could drive it pretty much on the limit, with the power and handling whereas a mate of mine had a 370 bhp evo 9 and was a handful on the road but to me wasnt half as enjoyable to drive as my old car was it just wasn't nice to drive on a back road on the limit

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Would all depend on driver skill level

For your average driver 300-350bhp/350ftlbs is plenty quick.

I have driven an impreza with way more power than the above on backroads and it just feels too quick. It's perfect in a straight line but when it comes to the bends you have to be wary and know what you are doing.

But if you compare it to the newage hot hatches like the golf R's etc 350/350 is very easy to control

Imho the golf R doesn't really need any skill to drive fast. Id say its driver input when you get to 450-500bhp

100% great cars,

But No soul though as so good at everything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back