What to look out for???

Mickymc

Hey everyone im looking to buy a impreza 03/04..Whats the best/most reliable model amd what should I look out for when viewing..and most importantly anyone know where there is one for sale... Thanks in advance.. :anyone:

looking to spend no more than 7000.A saloon im looking for,dont know much about the difference between wrx,wrx/sti any advice welcome

[quote author=Mickymc link=topic=44409.msg513209#msg513209 date=1428589232]
whats the best??
[/quote]

define best?

Terms of speed and handling probably STI

In terms of Economy probably 2.0l or 1.6l

But really, the point here is, that before you decide to buy a car, you should do at least some research of what you are buying on your own. You should know what size of engine you can afford run and pay for. Having 7k right now and buying STI is not the same thing as being able to afford running it. Do you want it as Daily driver? Weekend car? Track car? Or do you want to just show off(no offence, but your ignorance of any information indicates that the most)?

Now, dont take me wrong, when I came the first time on this forum, I was just as much newb as you are and knew nothing, but before I asked, I had made my decision on buying 1.6 and stated my reasons why I wanna buy that one, then some guys here said that its wrong choice and I should buy differently. That way we can help you, but coming on forum and saying 'I want subaru, I have 7k what to buy' is kinda difficult for anyone to advise

IMO Every day car wrx if running costs is a factor
If not STi
Much much more spec from factory and cheapest way if plan to upgrade from standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=44409.msg513214#msg513214 date=1428596696]
IMO Every day car wrx if running costs is a factor
If not STi
Much much more spec from factory and cheapest way if plan to upgrade from standard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Yes, after all the fu*k ups I had to go through with my NA(and still do), I would never buy again... WRX and above...

its very hard to find a good car nowadays so unless you know yours well I would bring a mechanic that knows subarus well to view it.

7k is a good budget for a top of the range 03 impreza sti, 5k will get you a wrx with 2k left over to make that car your own but it all comes down to what you want the car for?

sti will have 6 speed box, sti interior, stronger and more powerful engine, nicer wheels and body etc

wrx will have 5 speed box, softer suspension less power etc

questions to ask yourself,daily driver or weekend toy?

colour?

standard or modified?

doing track days or not?

have you had any performance cars before?

lots to ask yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions here so you get the right car

imo running costs are the same, same tax, same insurance for most(there was no difference in mine between wrx/sti) sti might use more fuel but not by much, same servise costs

Hey all thanks for the replies..I'm looking to buy this car as a second car something to use whenever the main car is gone and to use for going to the weekend games..I've a company truck during the week and a A6 as the main car. In the past I've had Lexus IS200,BMW 520 M sport, 1.6 Impreza (which I loved) an A4 sline and now a 142 Audi A6 Sline.
I always want a Sti but never knew the difference between them and a Wrx that's why question was simple.

Sounds like you should get a Sti man

Healthy budget should get a nice car if you spend time looking for the right one

Sti
Better 6 speed box
More power stock
And better tuning potential

If it were me I'd try find a nice bug Sti and put some of your budget into modifaction/maintaince

Suppose the biggest thing I'd be looking at in a car of that age would be accident repairs . Your looking at a 10 year old performance are after all . Go with your eyes wide open and don't buy the first car you see . Unless it's perfect but even at that call back for a second viewing to be sure you've not missed something. Bring a good mechanic that knows scoobys 2 . Second pair of eyes is big help . And be prepared to look at a lot of rubbish described as been mint .

[quote author=Mickymc link=topic=44409.msg513259#msg513259 date=1428618570]
Hey all thanks for the replies..I'm looking to buy this car as a second car something to use whenever the main car is gone and to use for going to the weekend games..I've a company truck during the week and a A6 as the main car. In the past I've had Lexus IS200,BMW 520 M sport, 1.6 Impreza (which I loved) an A4 sline and now a 142 Audi A6 Sline.
I always want a Sti but never knew the difference between them and a Wrx that's why question was simple.
[/quote]

Yes, so this defines greatly what you wanna look for, STI should be car of your choice imho, as its the ultimate of Imprezas on market. And a lot of things open to improve and work on:)

Back