what exactly do I need to run on 95 RON petrol

O

Omeara_darragh

Been asking a few different people about this and now I'm just confused. I spoke to one lad and he told me to fit an apexi neo and a boost controller and this would stop the engine going bang, another chap told me to keep running it on octane booster, other people have told me a remap is the only way to go. SO what exactly do I need???? The car is coming this friday.

Also what does a remap/apexi neo/ cost?

The best thing to do is get the Ecu replaced to apexi Fc  they cost about 500euro on ebay inc delivery from japan and about 300 yoyos to get mapped..You can run the car on 95 Ron and keep adding octane booster wich damages the lambda sensor in the exhaust so yull hav to replace that every so ofton if yu choose that route and yu will be buying alot of booster as the imprezas are very very thirsty on juice,if you choose to do neither of these and run the car on 95ron yu will get pre detination (also known as knocking)of petrol and air as it is a lower octane and the standard Ecu is programmed for 99Ron i know of a few people inc a good friend of mine who is a mechanic on the irish rally (quality mechanic) who had a jap wrx for 2yrs running on 95Ron without Ecu upgrade or octane booster and nothing happened and he drove it hard,but on the other hand i know a bloke who had a 98 Jap Sti and done the same and she went bang.So totally up to yu mate if it was me id be buying apexi Ecu wich i will be doing next month..

:subaru:

Hey Omeara_darragh
A re-map is the only guaranted way to solve this issue.
Jap import impreza's run on 101RON as compared to our shity 95 RON
pertroll.

90% of the jap import cars here, have all been re-mapped the rest are most likely
get their's mapped soon.

In the mean time my advice is to buy a Knock link, this little device will measure the amount of
KNOCK (pre - detenation of fuel) and warn you, so you can back off and not damage your engine....... and octane booster will help
but only use Lucas or NF the rest are a joke.

There is loads of pages on this topic, use the search facility for relevant info.

Niall. :thumbsup:

Is Pro Boost any good?? I have a good supply of it as I use it in the rally car too. I cannot find anyone down this end of the country who sells Lucas. How much is a knock sensor and is it easy fit?

I had my ver 6 sti ecu tek mapped for 95 octane only and found it great, very handy just pull in and fill up like a normal car..you may buy an ecu for yours do.

[quote author=Omeara_darragh link=topic=2062.msg18752#msg18752 date=1176835311]
How much is a knock sensor and is it easy fit?
[/quote]

Search for my thread on fitting my DetAlarm and you will see.

as above.a re-map is the ONLY way to go.its costly but way cheaper than a re-build.

Hey Omeara_darragh
a Knock link can be bought off our club sponsors
price aprox €150 yes it easy to fit . simply attach sensor
to outside of engine block and run cable back into car and mount
the unit onto dash board etc. .......basically it's a series of led lights from green , orange and red.
Green is perfect, orange is detecting Knock and if it lights up red get your foot of the accelerator quick :D

As for Silkolene Pro Boost some swear buy it :ponder: :ponder: but after mapping cars
with AndyF we found in one particular case that after filling with 2 tins it had no effect what so ever.

I arrived and supplied a bottle of NF Octane booster. A half bottle was used and straight away the fuel was
registering aprox 97RON ...................we found the same results with Lucas ( wich is half the price of NF :D)

Niall.

Hey Niall that was my old car. The Silkolene wouldn't run a lawnmower. NF or Lucas is the only stuff that is proven to work.

Frawls

CVL Turbo is suppose to be good but only mixes to 20 Litres IIRC, which makes it expensive.

My advice with Millers CVL Turbo (i used to buy it by the box laod.)
Is don't use it .

It is a good octane booster and maybe ideal for say a trackday or a RR day.
You need 2 bottles to 1 full tank which is a little pricey but the big fault
is that when it burns it leaves an orange film/dust over everything.

I went through 2 / 3 sets of plug's, 4 lamda sensor's it even fooked up the Maf
(How i don't know) and when i took the turbo off the orange fim was baked and crusted
onto the inner walls of the turbo.

Now this was probarly 9 / 10 months of constant use 2 tank fills a week but i don't get this problem
with NF or Lucas.

Niall.

Sorry i should of said i barley get this
prob with NF or Lucas. :wall: :wall:

Probarly need to change plug's and Lamda once a year with Lucas
and that's 2 fills in a week ..........................(i do alot of milage)

Niall.

Back