What can cause actuator pressure?

Eoinmack

Webmasters
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Car on actuator pressure as of two days ago. Haven't done a thing yet.
Swapping out plugs later and new fuel filter.
Will drive PERFECT if not going above 1 bar, at any rev. Revs perfect also.
Will kick once or twice at 1 bar and not go above it.
Just want to have a bit of a checklist for later on.
Will be changing plugs, fuel filter, cleaning MAF, cleaning boost control solenoid etc.
Anything else to be checking?
Car getting some work done within a week so not the end of the world if its not sorted now...but nice to have it right again all the same

Are you reading this off the pro sport gauges?

Ross had one of these in his bug worked grand for years but then started only reading 0.7- 0.8 bar , Once removed it and put a defi boost gauge on it was reading 1.5-1.6bar, nothing wrong with the car , the sensor for the pro sports failed .

They are pure useless gauges sorry if that sounds thick but they are sh*t

Put a good gauge in the car and go from there

Well, yes, but can feel it also. It's not boosting like it was, however accurate they are, it's still less than it was last week lol
As soon as she hits 1 bar on the gauge, it'll jerk a bit, and won't go passed that then.
I don't really pay much heed to the gauges, 3 of them aren't even live, but this can be felt. No where near as strong as she was

Eoin wasn't it doing that boost cut thing from before mapping 1.8 bar on prosports 👀 even after mapping (but less severe) or did I remember that wrong mabay related?

No never man, think that was just the sound of the wastegate opening and closing and could just hear it...either way, mapping sorted that, and it wasn't jerking then either.. this is deffo boost restriction now like

Plugs and fuel filter changed. No difference.
Coil packs might need doing. 2 were a bit shitty looking

You're in potential crystal ball territory. Same thing happened to me a couple of years back. Drove to work grand. Came out and only actuator pressure going home. Changed plugs, filters, boost control solenoid, fuel pump, vacuum hoses, MAF etc, even had a map tweak. The worst thing was it was intermittent and would sometimes come back to boosting normally. It even behaved itself on the dyno during the map tweak and then back to actuator pressure while driving home so I was nearly pulling my hair out at that stage. I then lost boost completely and the the turbo sh*t itself. Now, my turbo was always noisy, and a lot of people say it's just down to the type of bearing in the VF36.

Once the turbo was replaced it was back to normal. Not saying your turbo is failing, but if no joy with the usual suspects then no harm to whip off the turbo and check it. In saying that, I spent that much time and money with the above that I wish I just pulled the turbo off in the first place.

Also if your fuel pump is starting to fail, it may not be able to supply the fuel needed at wider throttle/higher RPM to sustain boost above 1 bar.

Could be the turbo. I was thinking that myself. She gave a puff of blue there about 4 or 5 times, but none in the last 7 or 8 weeks. Was told it could be turbo seals on the way out. I've priced a turbo rebuild and stuff so possibly the best option.
The only thing that makes me doubt the turbo is cause it builds boost fine until that 1 bar mark. I would have suspected if turbo failed, it would be mental all over the boost range, and not even hold the 1 bar steady.. Maybe I'm wrong tho, she's not being driven now anyway so it's just a case of finding and fixing.
She will be going for work in another week or two, but it be nice to be able to diagnose a few bits and bobs at home first and try get it sorted.

I doubt it's the fuel pump, that was replaced in June last year, walbro pump went in.
Could possibly be coil packs...but will deffo have a look at all the things you mentioned above.
Even the stock plastic turbo inlet are prone to fail so..must check that too. Deffo a good list of stuff there to check tho man, it is a bit crystal ball like tho 🤪

Back