Vw golf r

jayo

ISDC Club Member
I've been looking at golf r's lately.

300bhp, cheap enough tax €570 a year, cheap to insure, nice looking car, roughly 35mpg ,dsg,they do an estate version (huge plus for me)

Any reviews I've seen don't really have a bad word to say about them.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with them?

Will more than likely have to import from UK as haven't seen any estates here

Great choice tbh for a daily car.

If I was in your position, I would also consider the Seat Leon Cupra ST. They come in 2 versions: FWD and 4Drive(Haldex same as the Golf R). It is basically a Golf R with different drives. Same Ea888 engine and MQB platform, same dsg system etc. Think the 4drive versions are from 2018 onwards. And they are cheaper than the Golf R equivalent in the UK along with being much nicer in the styling department imho. The Golf R estate looks like an afterthought in my mind.

We have a 2016 FWD Seat Leon Cupra ST(estate) and it's the 290 version. It is our main family car, and the only car that you can fit 3 car seats in the rears. All MQB platform cars can do that and that was the main reason we got it. Mind you, I was very persuasive to convince herself that this was the perfect family car for us. If you want to drive it, let me know as the Golf R wagon would be similar in feel. Also re mpg figures, you will get 30-32mpg on normal driving. When you are on it, mid to low 20s is more than likely. They also map really well and have huge potential on the aftermarket to push easily 400bhp without breaking a sweat or requiring any internal engine mods. A few of the Golf Rs we know are running 500bhp reliably here in Ireland.

PM me if you need more information :)

Drove one last august when I short listed 3 cars to replace the scooby, gold r , ford focus rs and then the i30 n, golf r is a great car and fast, does everything you want and will hold its value, BUT no buzz whatsoever from it for me, very removed driving experience compared to focus rs and i30 n, bought the i30 n and no regrets but a marmite car for a lot of people, I love it, a real go kart and drivers car.

For me the golf r does not have enough drivers feel but a great car, get it quick from uk before january and vrt increase👍

Mate in UK has a Revo 500 bhp R

Says himself really quick had it out on runway at 170 mph ...but real boring

I drove a few before I bought the M140i. They go like stink and look great. Just didnt give me any feedback, and the sound piped into the cabin was irritating after a while.
Very capable car, but you will get bored of it very quickly. The Seat cupra would be a more engaging car imho.
If you want a spin in the M140i, you are more than welcome, just to give yourself a comparison with some added drama.

Thanks for the replies and offers guys.not a huge fan of the styling on the seat.prefer the look of the golf's. Went to look at one in a local garage, made appointment and when I went in it was blocked in in the show room.engine light on,due service. Service history wasn't great.kind of lost interest at that stage.

With brexit fast approaching and not wanting to rush into buying one im going to leave it for now.scrubbed the mondeo from top to bottom and fell in love with it all over again.

Good to get feedback all the same, and funny another guy I was talking to said the exact same about driver feel/feedback.

Back