Valve lash adjustment EJ255

Milo

Sunday Drivers
Folks, car is slowly approaching 200k km mark. I will be changing the timing belt etc. when it comes. I was thinking that it would be nice to adjust valve lash in the same time as it never has been done before (and the under the bonnet sticker says to do every 100k km). Is it possible to do it (valves adjustment) without taking the engine out?

It can be checked in place but not ideal. I certainly would like to be removing cams and swapping with the engine in place . Have it developed some strange noises . Not sure that model you have but unless your changing shim bucket thickness there’s no other adjustments.
If you’re doing all that then as baz said pull the engine as you’ll be doing cam seals rocker cover seals the lot 👍

That’s above my weight. Was just wondering. I will call Mark Murphy and ask how he would approach it…

Engine is fine, no weird noises, no oil consumption, nippy enough for an auto etc. Just thought that it might be a good idea to do it at 200k mark along the other things (especially that Subaru says to do it every 100k)…

Yes, it’s buckets and shims…

Dayco or Mitsuboshi timing belt and koyo or ntn ot nsk bearing Nothing Chinese like gates And a genuine Subaru water pump and thermostat and your sorted

Yeah, if Gates TB is as good as auxiliary belts I will stay clear. Last time when doing TB I also changed all the auxiliary belts. Used gates- man these stretch like a rubber band. Don’t even remember how many times did I have to tension the squeaking things. Never, even once had to retension a Mitsuboshi genuine belt (have 2 Subarus, one from new)…

Back