Uneven brake pad wear?

doggy

When changing the rear pads today, I noticed that there was significantly more wear on the outer pad on the left rear compared to the inner pad. The inner pad was also more difficult to remove. Caliper pistons both moved freely enough. I cleaned out a lot of material around the caliper where the pads would slide in and out to help the new pads. What could be causing this, is it possible to have a single piston sieze and if so, how do you diagnose it? Is a full caliper stripdown the only way to get to the bottom of it?

IMAG0142.jpg

Thanks in advance

Who changed the pads last? if it was not you then they might have stuck in a used one. If both pistons are moving ok then thats a lot of uneven wear

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know it was the opposite piston was the culprit if one pad was low.

As for who changed them last, I believe they are the original set.

there 2 pot calipers 1 inside 1 outside so if the inside pad is wore the the outside piston is sticking would be my view on it but could something else

i wouldnt ay its the piston a you ay these move freely.

you say you removed alot of durt from were the pads slide on the caliber, imo this is your problem, the pad has to slide freely or once its pushed by the piston it will stay against the disk which will burn out the pad,, i have often had to file down the legs on a pad to make them move freely in the caliber, just dont take to much of the legs or they will rattle over bumps

I had the same problem in the past. Once I cleaned the gunk out of the sliders and as Duffman says, file the legs, the wear was a lot more even.

Sound, thanks for all the advice. I didn't do any filing of the legs as they slotted in grand once the crud was removed. I'll keep an eye out for uneven wear on the new ones.

Back