Timing belt

tomo

Petrolheads
Lads how ofted should a timing belt be changed? Mine was done 35k miles ago but it was 6 years ago, not sure if I should replace it or it is still ok?

5/6 years or less I?d do a belt on any car!

As I?ve preached for 19 years fixing cars miles/kms don?t mean sh*t!

You can rack up x amount of miles/kms etc...

But you turn that key the timing belt goes around
And around!!

Miles/kms don?t go up in traffic! Still goes round but slower!

I?d change it. Be safe than sorry!

If its on your mind replace it .....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Change it, as Graham said , five years [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That means its 6 years since the water pump got any TLC. I had an issue with a genuine pump which got stiff through sitting idle in a garage. No leaks but changed it anyway. Consider this - pump seizes....belt goes....and then you have a right mess.

Well lads what timing belt kits would you recommend? Is a genuine subaru kit only one to go for or getting a Gates kit and get it fitted in any garage is ok too? I am just after ringing a subaru dealer and I want to forget their price as soon as I can
:facepalm:

I got mine from ICP. The kit included water pump but not the thermostat, would recommend doing that when doing the pump and was not much extra.

Belt was Gates and the pump and rollers, etc. were good quality Japanese parts. Think all in cost around ?280 including coolant IIRC.

As mentioned most belts are x miles or y years whichever comes first. So think you are right to do it.

I was thinking of getting a full Gates kit, hope they are good enough for a subaru as lots of people on foreign forums say Oem kit is the only one to go for.

most of the kits use the same O.E. parts, koyo, NTN etc.
Most brand name kits Gates,Dayco, Contitech etc. all use same tensioner and rollers no advantage over the genuine subaru part, subaru dont make the parts

see example gates kit in image all O.E. bearings and tensioner, dont know what waterpump is in that kit but O.E. is Aisin

Attachments

• gates kit.jpg
    gates kit.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Gates or Dayco belts are perfect, likes of Koyo, NTN bearings and tensioners are Oe but just don?t have Subaru wrote on them, so don?t have the price tag.
Personally I would suggest new water pump, thermostat. You also could change the front crank seal when in there as they are Only 6 or 7 quid

Back