Thread on wheel refurb places

Wheel wizard work is unreal
Few sets I have seen are flawless
It depends on how fussy you are

Keep in mind that Carlow Coatings does powder coating... would be tougher than spray paint (though not quite as smooth maybe).

Personally think CC is great and very competitive price. (25 minutes away from me Ciaran)

- what stud pattern / PDC / Off Set is the Suzuki running? (in case you wanted to put temp other wheels on while getting originals painted)

Pat o Neill in edenderry has just done the rims for my woman's fiesta and they turned out brilliantly
c6287ee735d2f47cdf06c5eec088476b.jpg

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

So what's the thoughts on powder coating alloys, have heard lots of horror stories of wheels being baked too high of a temp and breaking after words :(

I'd have a preference for wet painting and lacquering. Finish isn't as good with powder coating and baking them can't be good for them either. Plus... Wet painting tends to get a thicker coating too

If the are done right they look perfect and won't break, as with anything you get what you pay for

wagon dec

Powder primer, wet colour paint and powder laquer. That's what I did with wheel wizards and the wheels turned out absolutely class.

Darker colour powder is OK as you cant really see but lighter powder colour finishes when examined up close have a cracked/webbed finish (for the lack of a better description). Not something you'd see from a few feet away but definitely something you can see up close.

I would personally recommend wheel wizards because I've used them more than once and I've also yet to hear a bad review from anyone who's had their wheels done there. Plus if you ring them, they could do a better price and they normally offer a winter rate as well which is significantly less than busy periods.

Wouldn't be concerned with the baking. All the local rally lads use Carlow Coatings and no issues at all - and their alloys would get a lot more abuse than your average road-car. Also the powder coating seems thicker than the wet paint from what I have seen. The finish is definitely a little different from wet paint... less like glass... but that said this is only visible from inches away and because it is tougher and coloured all the way through less chance of chips happening, or even if they happen less visible.

No experience with Wheel Wizards, but am sure must be OK seeing the feedback from Rob and others.

BTW, if you wanted them painted rather than powder coated, my local body repair shop does a set of alloys for €200 and does a good job. He'd need them for two days though between prep / paint / dry... and he also advises that any painted wheels are left for a few days before refitting tyres and nuts - paint needs to properly cure out and this goes for any place.

I would have thought that powder coated wheels would have a harder finish than normal painted ones.One touch of a tyre lever and the wet painted one would chip.
Not sure about the pc one.
Some tyre fitters are pure careless anyway.

A close friend who's a pure perfectionist had some control arms powder coated and others wet painted for comparison. And after checking with a paint depth gauge there was a thicker coating from wet painted parts due to etch primer, primer, base coat and lacquer. He also found that the powder coat chipped easier for the fact it is a harder finish. Where as the wet painted parts didn't as the finish was more of an elastic finish. He also used a very reputable powder coaters in Dublin. He's to much time on his hands I know but I'd trust his opinion and he changed mind regarding powder coating. I think for alloys... What Rob suggested regarding wheel wizards powder primer followed by wet painting would've the best method.

Is that the chap you put the pics up before of the 6r4 parts
if so perfectionist is a understatement LOL

Back