The Future for Subaru

ScoobeyDoo

Sunday Drivers
One of my friends recently bought a forrester turbo from Bursey Peppard in dublin. I went on a test drive with him and the owner of the garage ,and we had a great chat about subaru's past and present. He went on to say that Subaru's of old were untouchable when it came to reliability and bulid quality , but that in his recent experience, they were slipping slowly and cutting corners.
Ive been a mad subaru fan all my life, but it almost brings a tear to my eye to see the new model lineup :cry: and the direction the company is going.
It seems as thought they are trying to appeal to a mass market, and in doing so loosing what they really stand for.
How many of you watched top gear 2 weeks ago and saw the new evo literally run rings round the STI?
I bought a subaru because it had EVERYTHING I wanted in a car...built like a prison,goes like a rocket,practical,reasonably affordable,good looking, and well respected. Can that be said of the cars of new?

I know the older cars will be around for a long time, especially with all the Scooby enthuasiasts, but what is going to replace them? How many STI's/WRX's or special edition new models will be bought?? Will performance Subarus be a dying breed if Subaru continue the way they are going. Will Subaru even produce hardcore lightweight editions any more?

Look at the new GTR, the new NSX and the new evo...they all appear to be the best models ever produced by those manufacturers, and it kills me to say, but for the first time ever Im looking at other cars as a next car.

I personally think the accountants have taken over from the engineers, and profits are becoming too important.Anyone remember the days subaru consistently topped the JD Power reliability survey? I just hope someone soon gets sense and things change.
Probably just hung myself, but id love to know what ye all think lads :hang:

:subaru: :subaru:

Subaru is not been killed by subaru in this country. Although the New STi takes a bit of getting used to you have to say it grows on you and the top gear show was not accurrate in my eyes. It said that they where the last models of the two cars but the STi was the standard STi as thats all thats available for the moment but the Spec C and so on are coming soon. As i'm sure is the typeRA R the S205 and so on, The Evo was one of the FQ range which are a big step above the standard Evo X.

In all the early tests the Subaru held it's own against the standard Evo X. Beating it in alot of ways. Lets see what happens when the FQ has to take on the likes of the Spec C and so on.

What is going to kill subaru in this country is this country and it haters of big engined cars. The Goverment will be the final blow that drives Subaru out. Theres no way that I'll own a Subaru registered after July 2008 due to the annual road Tax. €2000. They can go and feck themselves. Some day I'll buy a Hawk eye, Hopefully an RB320 or something as Limited and that car will be the last Subaru I will ever buy and I hopefully will never have to sell. :subaru:

Any Subaru after 2008 will prob not be seen in Ireland, unless somebody is just S**ting money out for sport.
Dont you worry about Subaru not putting out a super Impreza, them Japs love nothing more than some poko yoko.
They just got to keep the enviorment people happy, for a while anyway :thumbsup:

Why do we put up with this???? Why are we taking this obscene new Tax regime lying down? :angry:

I'll probably only put about 4k miles a year up on my Scooby.... So why should I have to pay €2k a year. I know it's currently only cars registered after 01/08/08... But they will eventually phase in this new Co2 Tax scheme in the next 4-5 years... That's been guaranteed by people in the know that I spoke to. Hate to say it Eric... but owning a Limited Edition Hawkeye could still cost you 2k a year. :doh:

So, for those of use owning Scooby’s that are second cars ... weekend toys... We are being robbed for driving cars that are hardly used annually and would produce less Co2 that someone driving a 1.4 bucket doing 12k miles a year! There needs to be a system that works on a sliding scale... basing your tax on mileage!

Sorry... I know this isn’t really the topic on this post... but we need to start thinking about standing up to this crappy government’s new policy! Why aren’t they targeting all the w**kers in their ML's and X5's and Cayenne's doing big mileage! And leave all the enthusiasts who drive their cars on rare occasions alone! :angry:

Performance Scooby's will be killed off in this country! :cry: It's inevitable! Here's hoping Subaru can come up with an Environmentally friendly car ASAP. :pray:

toyota will gradually increase their stake, use subaru for performance development, eventually phase them out 10-15 years down the line, thast how I see it unfolding.

I have to agree with most comments so far in this thread. Unfortunately Subaru and their accountants have decided that the only way the company can grow is to appeal to a wider market....hence their current model range. They are trying to get more Focus and Golf drivers into a Subaru. Will this back fire on them?...yes it probably will.

Back