SuVWbaru

coooool! finally they changed the beetle to have a DECENT boxer engine it for a change! :D

wasnt there a thread up ages ago about the building of that car?

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=4118.msg42996#msg42996 date=1193406448]
Thats very nice

Does Lindsay Lohan come with it too? :oops:[/quote]

She only comes along if you get one upgraded to a Porsche 911 engine... :p

I have to say that is rather cool, but am a bit dubious of the quarter mile time he appears to claim, afterall would a beetle not a be a bit aerodynamically challenged??

I have to say that is rather cool, but am a bit dubious of the quarter mile time he appears to claim, afterall would a beetle not a be a bit aerodynamically challenged??

your fogetting that the cars name is herbie ;)

[quote author=jackswagon link=topic=4118.msg43051#msg43051 date=1193426291]

I have to say that is rather cool, but am a bit dubious of the quarter mile time he appears to claim, afterall would a beetle not a be a bit aerodynamically challenged?? [/quote]

Te shell isn't exactly built for speed alright!

[quote author=Twinnie link=topic=4118.msg43031#msg43031 date=1193417189]
...would a beetle not a be a bit aerodynamically challenged?? [/quote]

That may start to sound a little ironic when you consider that, in the 1930s craze for streamlining, the Volkswagen “Beetle” was one of the first cars to be designed with the aid of a wind tunnel - it was the aerodynamic car that outsold them all!

Those original "Beetles" had a Cd (drag coefficient) of .48, which may not sound so good today, but was excellent in their time. For example a 1979 Mustang was only very slightly better at .46, compared with 0.33 for a 2004 Impreza WRX STi. 

[quote author=jackswagon link=topic=4118.msg43051#msg43051 date=1193426291]

your fogetting that the cars name is herbie ;)
[/quote]
I told the old gal her name was Herbie earlier on but I dont think she fell for it cos I defintely was'nt pulling anywhere near 9 second quarter mile times in her :D

@Greenwagon, That was some very educational information right there, as a child of the 80's I am unaware of the aerodynamics of cars from the Era of my Grandmother, I had no idea that they even used wind tunnels in car production in the 30's.........Fascinating to think that the drag coefficient between a Beetle and late 70;s Mustang could be so close :)

Back