Strange legacy problem

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
Lads the legacy cut out twice on me today both times while gearing down and turning a corner, fairly low speed in traffic goin from 4th,3rd,2nd then turning the corner and the engine cut out and steering went heavy...both times it took over a minute for the engine to fire back up,nearly got rear ended by a bmw the first time it happened.. this actually happened once last year but I thought nothing of it really..
Any ideas or has anyone had a similar problem?

Last edited:
Check battery health, and then check connections on battery. Look for corrosion on the terminals and clamps. If all OK check for any loose/bad earths.

I think the battery is about two years old, I'll check everything 2mw..
Cheers John 👍👍

Could be a few things Johnny . But sounds like fuel spark Related if hard to start and turning over ok that would rule the battery out . Plugs or Fuel pump Be my guess . Pull the plugs if they’re in it a long time and see what there like . Pump could be in the way out or fuel filter in engine bay might need to be changed

Check the idle control valve as well , might be sticking but honestly could be a number of things

This problem is back, since it happened before I've changed the battery,fuel pump, plugs and coil packs...would a split wire somewhere be a cause? It only seems to happen when the weather is really warm..
I've done a nice bit of mileage this year between goin to rallies and taking it out every weekend with no problems at all..

It's happened once on Friday and twice yesterday..the first time it fired up after 20 seconds but the last time it happened I was stuck for 10 minutes or so before it fired up and it ran lumpy for a minute or so before it sorted itself out..

I think the idle control valve needs adjusting, it might be idling to low and when you clutch at certain point it’s not catching to hold the idle

Had a good look around at the wiring before I was goin to go at the idle control valve and found this split wire for the number 2 coil..its not completely broken but it looks like 4 of the wires are..
20230612_194813.jpg

That’s your problem I’d say , if your handy with wiring you can upgrade to newage coils and get a loom to chop out the bit you need

Yes that could be the problem Johnny needs fixing anyway
have you tried pulling the codes Connect the green and black connectors under the dash and see the check engine light flash and they flash long flashes are 10 short flashes are one .
If light stays on there are no codes

Back