So I bought a SAAB.......

DaveSleggy

So after driving jap so far legacy b4 rsk, 2 integras and an is200 i felt a change was necessary.

I have been on here asking about all other cars and origanally was going to go with a WRX bug, but insurance made that practically impossible :argh:
Then was going to buy a OPC astra but divided opinion on here about them had me questioning that, then i was looking at focus STs but tax is ridiculous and also mark iv golf GTIs but couldnt see myself behind the wheel of my most hated car (1.4s and tdis are driven exclusively by idiots)

So the SAAB seemed to be an option but i knew nothing about them, all i thought was big ass grandad car that was FWD so understeer and burnt tyres at best.

But i went and test drove a 93 aero 2ltr 210bhp 300Nm at 2500rpm and it was unreal. Quiet refined and very quick. All power at 2500rpm make its a overtaking animal for a brief time has more poke than my 300bhp legacy (very brief) (very very brief)

So naturally i bought the first one i drove and am pretty happy with it. 2005 119 miles on clock and aero modle so every option ticked, heated leather seats, cruise control, the lot!

But story time over :icon_blahblah:

Are there any other SAAB guys on here? anyone else ever owned one? anyone any opinions good or bad feel free iv thick skin :lol2

Cheers for reading
:thumbsup:

Nice man any photos?

Love Saab

Drove a Viggen for 2 weeks few years ago loved it bit mentol in the wet but loads of personality

Love the old 9000 Areo too great company pitty they are gone.
32e76c0843b459e9dc18f886bb4112f0.jpg

Cheers man

Cant attach images on here :banghead but theyre on my facebook if you will lose sleep not seeing them :lol2 david gerard william smith

It drives surprisingly well, there is a bit or torque steer but not nearly as much understeer as i thought, it feel solid like a bit car should but picks up pace so well it feels like it has leightweight acceleration.

Only thing that will take getting used to is the noise, or lack there off. I do like a meaty exhaust note and there is none!

But on the plus side that does allow you to hear the lovely induction noise from the turbo :turbo:

i have a 91 900 turbo that i havent driven for a while was thinking of putting it on donedeal its on english plates

Drove a '94 900S (2.3 six cylinder turbo and last of the old model) as a company car over a two year period back in the mid '90s.

Very comfy and stylish, plenty of grunt, but very unreliable.
Everything from trim falling off and breaking to very annoying intermittent engine revving problem (5k plus rpm for no reason)... and this was when the car was even less than a year old. In the end my aunt drove the thing until about 5 years ago when it finally died (gearbox died and wasn't worth fixing).

Stilll.. despite the heartache of the issues... loved driving it!

Are there any other SAAB guys on here? anyone else ever owned one? anyone any opinions good or bad feel free iv thick skin :lol2

Cheers for reading

get yourself a pair of cords and a polo neck and your sorted, lol

on a serious note I have heard the aero is a lovely car and quick, I don't get them myself as I always think old man car, but the lad that I know has one, swears by it. best of luck with it, now off to the saab forum with you

[quote author=DUFFMAN™ link=topic=44529.msg514507#msg514507 date=1429838055]

Cheers for reading

get yourself a pair of cords and a polo neck and your sorted, lol

on a serious note I have heard the aero is a lovely car and quick, I don't get them myself as I always think old man car, but the lad that I know has one, swears by it. best of luck with it, now off to the saab forum with you
[/quote]

Haha chords might be comfortable!

backroads.ie would have a few people who would know them
I've always liked them
And there's great value to be had these days with Saab
All the best with it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=44529.msg514503#msg514503 date=1429830877]
Drove a '94 900S (2.3 six cylinder turbo and last of the old model) as a company car over a two year period back in the mid '90s.

Everything from trim falling off and breaking to very annoying intermittent engine revving problem (5k plus rpm for no reason)... and this was when the car was even less than a year old. In the end my aunt drove the thing until about 5 years ago when it finally died (gearbox died and wasn't worth fixing).

[/quote]

I have heard nightmare stories about the older models, they were basically vauxall chassis with bits put on and they didn't stay on that coupled with bulkhead cracking from torque from the rack spelled disaster.

I think they have the majority of the issued sorted with the newer ones but it's always risky to.buy a car from a company that's gone bang! But there seems to be a massive following over in the UK so even though I won't be able to pick up my parts from a few boys on donedeal for a few euro there seems to be a steady supply of support and parts.

And iv heard a lot about the Hirsch tuning and upgrades, you need deep pockets for this but recently had to stop drinking so I imagine my car budget has just got a lot bigger :icon_lol:

ill get on the back roads to see, yeah that is a thing if you get a looked after one its a good bit of car for the initial investment.

Nice car but pricey to run as they have a fair few faults. Heater matrix, turbo and head gasket issues.

My father... Who wears cords and a polo neck... Ran one.

Cost him a small fortune.

Always had a soft spot for the older 80s Saabs . Was just something about a 3 door aero turbo . Real accountant or architects car but still something nice about them .

iv been tipping about in the fathers 93 estate for the last year , (saab dealer in garage he worked in ) while my own car was being worked on , and found it grand . 2l turbo , auto,leather and jus a big old cruise ship . does what it does well, imo .

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6™ link=topic=44529.msg514512#msg514512 date=1429861871]
Nice car but pricey to run as they have a fair few faults. Heater matrix, turbo and head gasket issues.

My father... Who wears cords and a polo neck... Ran one.

Cost him a small fortune.
[/quote]

Every car has its issues and it's a gamble but don't worry lads I'm taking the saab back from the polo necks!

Always gonna be controversial getting a car like this but at least it's not a tDi with a pigeon in the exhaust

Another great quirk I now remember:

The ignition was in the centre near the gearstick and you could only take the key out if the selector was in reverse...

... and it had an annoying and complicated alarm system which required you to put in a code on a pad... but it would only take the code the first 10 seconds the ignition was turned on and then required you to start the car within 10 seconds of successfully disarming the alarm... so... get in... reach over and put key in near gearstick and turn on ignition, then turn to alarm keypad in dash on other side of the steering wheel and complete code entry before the 10 seconds are up, then turn back and start car before next 10 seconds lapse.

Now imagine stalling the car and trying to start it.
1) select reverse so you can take the key out of the ignition
2) take key out of ignition
3) put key back in and enter code within 10 second - or else back to step 1
4) turn ignition to start car within 10 seconds again - or else back to step 1

Now imagine a really poor driver (my aunt who owned the business and regularly drove the car)... stalling the car on a regular basis in heavy traffic :doh: :facepalm

remember seeing the saab 900 was the international smugglers car of choice as it had so many areas to hide the bags of Fran powder :icon_grin:

[quote author=DaveSleggy link=topic=44529.msg514511#msg514511 date=1429861632]
[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=44529.msg514503#msg514503 date=1429830877]

[/quote]

I have heard nightmare stories about the older models, they were basically vauxall chassis with bits put on and they didn't stay on that coupled with bulkhead cracking from torque from the rack spelled disaster.

I think they have the majority of the issued sorted with the newer ones but it's always risky to.buy a car from a company that's gone bang! But there seems to be a massive following over in the UK so even though I won't be able to pick up my parts from a few boys on donedeal for a few euro there seems to be a steady supply of support and parts.

And iv heard a lot about the Hirsch tuning and upgrades, you need deep pockets for this but recently had to stop drinking so I imagine my car budget has just got a lot bigger :icon_lol:

ill get on the back roads to see, yeah that is a thing if you get a looked after one its a good bit of car for the initial investment.
[/quote]

2005 93's are basically a Vectra

Back