smokey dipstick/no oil

JayDublin

Committe Members
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
Checked the oil in the car today as it wasn't on form from cold start yesterday (casual drive to the shops 3mins away and exhaust seemed smokey/car a bit spluttery). Very surprised to see practically no oil on the dipstick. Car was only service 1500km ago, since I got the car I haven't had to top oil up between intervals (5-6 thousand km). Lobbed a litre of oil in just there and when checked the dipstick it seems dry as a bone. Also a bit of smoke coming from the dipstick channel. car idles fine and sounds fine, no oil patches from where it was parked up so a bit confused.

any advice would be great!

Cheers all

Wouldn’t be the first time one of them melted a piston Jay 😳

Will probably needs a leak down or compression checked at a minimum and go from there

Wouldn’t be the first time one of them melted a piston Jay 😳

Will probably needs a leak down or compression checked at a minimum and go from there
Thanks for the bad news Barry:ROFLMAO:A few Google searches mentioned the same... was hoping it wouldn't be the case :( I'll get it up to the mechanic so. I assume it's a tow truck job and not worth risking the drive? Mechanic is 20 odd km away down the M50.

What makes it worse is I borrowed the missus car to get oil and the f*cking fan belt snapped on her her car when I was 5 mins from home. So that's obviously ''my fault'' as I was driving :censored:

Probably best off not driving it Jay being honest ,
Ah man bad day for ya , pure stress I’d say 🤦‍♂️

They’ve a habit of rods smashing through the block as they are only standard 2lt rods in them but if you’ve no oil on the ground that probably hasn’t happened

Probably best off not driving it Jay being honest ,
Ah man bad day for ya , pure stress I’d say 🤦‍♂️

They’ve a habit of rods smashing through the block as they are only standard 2lt rods in them but if you’ve no oil on the ground that probably hasn’t happened
Cheers man, I'll ring the tow truck just to keep it on the safe side so

🤦‍♀️sorry to hear . Unusuall to loose that much oil and not see it on the ground as burning a liter or more would be well noticed out the back .
Hopefully it’s nothing serious But the signs aren’t great 👍

finally go the car out to Larkins for diagnostics. Ciaran had a look and doesnt see any issue with the turbo which means its going to be an engine problem :/

Not the news I needed. Looking at a couple of grand to get her right. not sure what really to do next, money is tied up in the Starlet which hasn't landed yet. Do I bite the bullet and just park the Subaru up until I can sell the Starlet or should I just cut my losses and get the Subaru shifted to someone who has the time and money to get it sorted. Was considering a 2nd hand engine from JDM distro but I don't think that's a sensible option as there's only 130,000km on mine so it'd be better to try and save that. Absolute nightmare

Not a great news jay sorry to hear 🤦‍♀️. Turbo would be a simple enough fix . But not to be
have a good 2004 wr legacy engine there will know in the nevt week if it’s up for sale. Will let you know if Intrested

Not a great news jay sorry to hear 🤦‍♀️. Turbo would be a simple enough fix . But not to be
have a good 2004 wr legacy engine there will know in the nevt week if it’s up for sale. Will let you know if Intrested
Cheers Joe, appreciate that!

Back