Sky Dish problems/Any installers?

AndyC

ISDC Club Member
Basically with the slightest puff of wind or little drizzle of rain the satellite loses the signal. Last winter we paid for a service we did not get due snow, wind and rain.

Sky want €100 just to come to the house without even looking at the dish.
So any dish installers here that can get up there and take a look?. I assume the dish needs more proper securing to the house so that it doesn't move and maintains the signal.

thanks.

feel your pain
ours went Christmas 2 years ago on the 23'rd of December
Christmas eve i eventually got it going myself with the Wife watching the telly and me hanging of the side of the house
it is easy enough to do depends on whether your dish is on the chimney or is easier at a lower level
boards.ie has a good few satellite heads over there who could sort you out if here doesn't have anyone :thumbsup:

€100 ffs thats expensive Andy , probably needs to be tightened up at the mounting point on the wall/chimney , mine went last year and needed just that , there is a fine tune function on the box too which may help you see which way to move the dish in order to get the strongest signal ,

I've the same problem at the min Andy
I'm goina buy a satellite finder and reset the dish myself!!!!

If that improoves things any,I'll throw it in the post to ya so you can do yours aswell!!!

It's only happened here since we got sky+ installed last year! Never happened with the old dish at all!! So I recon that's what it is!!!

Thanks for the replies lads.

Dunboyne Area and dish is mounted to chimney.

All you need say is "Transfer me to the Cancellation department please", say you're not paying to fix something that wasn't installed correctly in the first place.

We had the exact same problem here, everytime there was a high wind, the dish moved about 1cm and dropped the signal completely and they wanted €100 to call out. So i just said I'm not paying and am going to cancel and go to UPC instead. They turned around and sent your man who then actuallly installed in properly and have had no problems since.

Same has also worked to get me 25% off my monthly bill, told them it was too expensive per month and got a discount. You must be talking to the cancellation department though :smile:

Done the same as Robbie. Said UPC don't charge if there is anything wrong and to cancel the sky and they sent someone out for free.

As Robbie says, ask for cancellations. It was always happening with ours. Signal would go every now and then and shíte. Told them we were not going to be paying €100 for an engineer to come out. Cancelled the direct debit at the bank and they started sending letters demanding payment. I wrote them a letter back stating we cancelled it as we were not getting the service and there is no activity from our box and anymore letters from them demanding a debt that doesn't exist would incur in an admin fee of €200 per letter.

They didn't send anymore letters but rang and offered to send an engineer for free so we accepted. About 6 months later it went again. Sent an engineer for free again. 6 months it went again so were like WTF is goin' on so we rang an independent installer and he came and pulled the dish and cables down and the state it was in was laughable! They Sky "engineers" were using shitty knock off cabling and connectors and then fuckin' sellotaping them together and sellotaping them to the dish!

The indy charged us 100 quid, gave us a free HD+ box, new dish, rewired the whole thing and tacked it neatly down the side of the house, sealed the hole in the wall were the wire came from the roof to the box and on top of that got us all the channels except sports for €52 a month!

Happy days! Rang Sky to complain and post their shitty parts back to them and they gave us 2 months free on top of what the Indy gave us and told us they'd send the "engineer" to collect the parts.

That was over a year ago now and we've had absolutely no issues with our signal or service.

Back