SG5 Forester 2.0XT Engine Refresh

James_or

Hi lads,

As of yesterday I'm finally a Subaru owner. Managed to pickup a 2005 SG5 2.0XT. I bought it with the engine already out of it along with most of the other bits in the engine bay.
My question is , as it's a high milage car (357680km) what should I be doing to the engine before I put it back in, besides a timing belt kit , Coils ( one is failing ), spark plugs and a clutch ?
As well, how much longer can I expect the engine to hold out / what is most likely to fail first ?

Cheers

My opinion man, it's already got huge mileage and presumably had a few different owners at this stage. You wouldnt know what kinda history it's had with maintenance.
I'd start looking to rebuild or get a lower mile engine and take it from there. That's just my opinion tho. I had with with a dodgy history and it didn't work out too well in the end lol
Best of luck with it man, sounds like it'll be a fun task 😀

The more reading up I've done today, I'd be inclined to agree with you now.

I don't suppose you'd know a rough cost of a new short block vs getting mine rebuilt ?

If the engine is out, that's a start. Could make it easier by spreading costs and going from there. Get heads this week, gaskets next week etc etc
You wouldn't necessarily have to go forged or stroked either like, OEM rebuild would suffice and at least you know all the history of the engine then in years to come. Would cost a few thousand anyway but I'm sure someone here with more knowledge will be along soon to offer a bit of a rough idea. That might be a bit negative of me to suggest, but if there's one thing I learned, do it once, do it right 😀
You can start a blog here too and progress your work to date and it be great to look back on in time 👌

If the engine is out, that's a start. Could make it easier by spreading costs and going from there. Get heads this week, gaskets next week etc etc
You wouldn't necessarily have to go forged or stroked either like, OEM rebuild would suffice and at least you know all the history of the engine then in years to come. Would cost a few thousand anyway but I'm sure someone here with more knowledge will be along soon to offer a bit of a rough idea. That might be a bit negative of me to suggest, but if there's one thing I learned, do it once, do it right 😀
You can start a blog here too and progress your work to date and it be great to look back on in time 👌
Yea I'm thinking about some sort of build anyway, I'd just like to figure out what kinda budget I should be prepared for , with the hope to keep it relatively low , no crazy power numbers, somewhere between 200/300 maybe.
Maybe a new short block and reusing the heads reconditioned off the engine I have now, I could at least deck them on my mill. Not sure exactly where to go with it.
I'd definitely start a blog once I've some sort of plan !

Sounds like a sweet project man, any way you decide to go will be great learning 👍
A lot of the lads here have engine swaps or rebuilds done. I'm curious now to see what way you go lol best of luck man 😀

Back