Resale Value/Help Spec New Engine

pugtk

Sunday Drivers
Hi All,

1.Turbo Value

I've had my vf24 converted to a vf48 spec by rsr, it made 350bhp/350ftlbs on nf octane with ap power at 1.5 bar.

It covered about 300 miles and the engine started to knock at between 3-4k rpm after 10mins of warm up. No knock when cold. I have to investigate fully. No shavings in oil or oil filter.

What would the value of the turbo be if I were to resell it?

2. Build Help

I'm just pricing up options to go for building a 400-420bhp Type R now, thinking of using a new ej207 shortblock as starting point.

I can buy most of the bits in the uk and use my vat number to save a good chunk of cash.

Plan:

New EJ207 Shortblock
ARP 11mm headstuds
Headgakets unknown for the moment
V4 Heads Refreshed
New Modine
New Sump
11mm Oil cooler
New Timing Belt
Any Seals/Gaskets etc needed.
Ported Headers
Harvey Up Pipe if I can get one
SC42 Billet Turbo Or MD321
FMIC
Sytec Fuel Reg
Parallel Fuel Setup
Nismo 555cc Injectors
SARD Induction Kit
New Coolant Pipe kit
New Turbo Inlet Pipe
3" Turbo back- no cat
ESL ECU
Exceedy stage 1 Pink Clutch
Plan to run 3 maps
1. 95 ron pump
2. 95 ron with nf octane
3. 95 ron with nf octane/20% meth mix

Plan to run an additional Bosch Air valve tapped into the manifold for decent antilag (pops and bangs), as aongus couldnt map anything decent in with the standard unit.

I plan to change mappers too, as I haven't had a great experience with ap performance. I may try Peter Simmons, he was already more help to me and I didn't even leave him a penny. The other lad got 1600 and wont even respond.

Hoping to hit the 400bhp-420bhp bracket with 350-380ftlbs. I want to keep my spool at 3.5k min as i don't like red lining my cars.

The Type R 5 Speed may shite itself, but i have been talking to a few lads who reckon there 5 speeds are holding that power ok.

The guts of 6k for the build, or knock 2k off for the sc42 and keep my vf48?

3. Short Blocks Options

3.1 A new ej207 block will stand me ?2,300 euro.

3.2 Forged blocks are coming in at 4k either 2.0 or 2.1 from 3 builders I was speaking too. So I could almost have the car back on the road at that if I kept my vf48.

3.3 Another Option is the N14 Thick wall Block, this would come in at ?1,750 , but I may need to change pistons for 400bhp. So another 600-700 on top of this.

Sounds like a fun build you planning and reckon it'll be a hoot to drive!

I have recently done something very similar myself and in the process of completing it.

Changed a Wrx block in my newage wagon to an Ej207 short block(mildly upgraded) , Blouch turbo, 750cc injectors, Haltech Ecu and 80% water methanol injection among the main components. A lot of the information you are looking for is in my build thread. It's gonna be mapped in a few weeks and that will give you an idea on how much power/torque is possible with that setup.

Re the 5 speed gearbox, I upgraded my one to a 6 speed dccd before the engine work as I was worried about reliability. Something to be mindful about when going for more power I thought. From what I have read, but no personal experience, the 5 speed newage gearboxes are a bit stronger? Maybe worthwhile looking into that?

Looking forward to the updates on the build [emoji106][emoji4]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

Part of me is thinking a PPG 1-4 Helical gear kit, so keep the type r ratios. Worst case.

That would mean the zxr would be going though.

Then if you do that, you would be as well going for 450-500bhp

I could deal with that trade off

What blouch turbo did you go for? Have you a link to your build?

There is a lad called codders on fourm has a blog on a big power type r maybe look his up might be of help
Its in members section along with Ken c done one as well before

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Part of me is thinking a PPG 1-4 Helical gear kit, so keep the type r ratios. Worst case.

That would mean the zxr would be going though.

Then if you do that, you would be as well going for 450-500bhp

I could deal with that trade off

What blouch turbo did you go for? Have you a link to your build?
Build thread i think is called Hassen27 Blob wagon SL. Can't link as I'm on the phone.

Think upgrading the gearbox would be a solid option.

Ej207 vs N14 thick wall block. If you can push the budget, get that or a closed deck block. It'll be able to hold more power.

Also well worth looking into managing heat from intake to exhaust e.g thermal spacers, upgraded turbo inlet, upgraded/coated exhaust manifold, upgraded exhaust etc. It'll help with reliability. There's a lot that can be done to help on that front which will help with reliability.

#hmblwgn

If you're embarking on such a project, and if you haven't done so yet, highly recommend getting full membership as the experience and info in the members build threads is invaluable. It helped me a lot for my own build and sourcing parts etc [emoji106]

#hmblwgn

You need to be a full member to avail of the members car blogs only way to see them

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

My advice would be a Newage STI block, and run 380ish.

Keep the car as close to standard as possible and enjoy it, nice comfortable clutch etc etc

You could do a 2.1 build but I wouldn?t bother. The new STI short block is good for 450 as it sits. Run 380-400 and you are to the safe side...

Be cautious with mappers, it?s the finish touch to your car so if you don?t want to use AP, I personally would be looking to the well known guys in the U.K... it?s the law of numbers, they are mapping so many over there they have the experience.. Ireland is a small country, and not everyone in this small country drives a Subaru, and not everyone that drives a Subaru ever map it lol

My advice would be a Newage STI block, and run 380ish.

Keep the car as close to standard as possible and enjoy it, nice comfortable clutch etc etc

You could do a 2.1 build but I wouldn?t bother. The new STI short block is good for 450 as it sits. Run 380-400 and you are to the safe side...

Be cautious with mappers, it?s the finish touch to your car so if you don?t want to use AP, I personally would be looking to the well known guys in the U.K... it?s the law of numbers, they are mapping so many over there they have the experience.. Ireland is a small country, and not everyone in this small country drives a Subaru, and not everyone that drives a Subaru ever map it lol

So an sc42 would be perfect for that level of power. Then do I just stick in helical gears now or chance the box and wait for it go.

I would like north of 350ftlbs - 400 ftlbs of torque.

So an sc42 would be perfect for that level of power. Then do I just stick in helical gears now or chance the box and wait for it go.

I would like north of 350ftlbs - 400 ftlbs of torque.

Your going to have to be carefull in what you decide and what it?s worth to you.

A standard 5spd is not going to like 400ftlbs, especially if your driving it on... your also going to have to spec a clutch for 400ftlbs..

Where you could run 350ftlbs and box would be comfortable and clutch would be as oe to use ... is it worth the extra 50ftlbs???? You will have to decide that. I?ve lost touch with the turbo range but I think I would be looking at the next size down than an sc42... get the smallest turbo you can to give you the power you want... and don?t ... just don?t get sucked in to the number hunting ****ery ... I?m telling you and beleive me I?ve learnt... keep the car as close to stock as possible where you still enjoy driving it and don?t end up finding it horrible to drive... 380-400 bhp and 360-380ft lbs is as far as you will get without stepping up into the next stage of big spending and swapping out parts.

Aonghus is a great mapper , never an issue in the last 7 years .
If you want a map done in 20-30mins on the road other lads might suit but always issues with cold or hot starts afterwards as not enough time spent on it .

Also the 5 speed if you?re just do the odd pull to redline on the motorway you should be grand , but if you?re driving it hard you?ll eventually have to do something with it.

350-400 is the sweet spot for a classic any more and its not practical/ enjoyable

Aonghus is a great mapper , never an issue in the last 7 years .
If you want a map done in 20-30mins on the road other lads might suit but always issues with cold or hot starts afterwards as not enough time spent on it .

Also the 5 speed if you?re just do the odd pull to redline on the motorway you should be grand , but if you?re driving it hard you?ll eventually have to do something with it.

350-400 is the sweet spot for a classic any more and its not practical/ enjoyable

Well, if im going for it, im going for it.

So either keep my current spec, maybe port headers and get a Harvey up pipe, maybe a 20% meth map or meth injection.

Get my 350bhp/350ftlbs again with improved spool.

Or go for the 420bhp ish route.

I was researching 6 speed boxes, I wouldn't mind if the first 5 gears were similar ratios. But I want the close ratios.

Prob 3.5k for a 6 speed dccd conversion and what maybe 2k for my own dccd kit

Another bit of free advice from Lessons learned...

Map your car for 95....

Forget about meth, it?s a complete pain in the arse, you will be out measuring it and ****ing around with it and it?s a dangerous chemical for your health... it?s a load of bollox.. it can break down rubber fuel hoses, seals etc etc also

Map for 95 and just pull up to the pump like every other rational minded person, if you want to put in some booster as an extra, do so... but map for the worst case scenario which is readily available 95

Well after reading all the posts you seem to be caught up with numbers . 350-380-420 most lads giving you advice have over 20 years of owning and modifying Subaru?s so have all being there at some Stage . If there say don?t do this or that is not because they don?t understand I?d becaus they have done it already and are warning you of the dangers and pitfalls not trying to knock you :thumbsup:.

so you originally got the car mapped and it made 300 and you were disappointed so got a different turbo and get it mapped again and made 350 but 300klm in it started knocking . There not really much a mapper can do about that ? .

a friend on here has a type r running 320bhp 335ftlb with a standard 5 speed Dccd gearbox and and sc36 being honest it?s quick enough for the weight of the car and down a wet back road nearly too quick . So it really depends what?s your looking for or going doing with the car.

If it were my car I?d drop in a new Subaru newage shortblock get my heads redone and checked and an sc36-38 Bring it back down to Aonghus and get 330-350 and be happy that you have a great engine for a long time to come :thumbsup:but that?s just what I?d do and everyone is different . But we?re all trying to advise you the best way to go

Last edited:
Back