Preventative maintenance.. Turbo

KrakityJones

ISDC Club Member
Just tipped passed 193k miles on the forester, with the original tf035 as far as I know. Have heard horror stories of these dying and sending itself flying into the engine. Opinion from one or two mechanics is why change if its going fine.

What would you think, leave well enough alone or change it now? Conscious that miles are very high so don't want to do too much messing about, have heard the td04 is a straight swap, even without remap, and they seem to be fairly readily available. Obviously a remap would be better and would do that at some stage later on but for now thinking more about prolonging it's life rather than performance. Anyway appreciate any opinons.

Subaru original turbos are fairly reliable when left alone . You will usually see signs that it’s on the way out or the seals are going with some blue smoke or oil in the intake pipe
I’d leave it alone but up to you 👍

Cheers Hassen, might take you up on that yet.

No smoke that I've seen bit ive thought it sounds a little louder when spooling than it used to, but not 100% certain. Reading some things online you'd expect the turbo to melt once its older than 5 years!

I'll have it with Seanie shortly to get the belt done so I'll ask him to take a look.If all looks good I'll leave well enough alone, if it's iffy I'll be on to you for that td04..

Thanks lads.

Good to hear there are no warning signs. Keep an eye on it would be my advice :)

Back