Oil change

WagonVersion6

Silly question maybe but then again no such thing as a silly question especially when it comes to car's, recommended engine oil for 00' Sti wagon? Also from earlier post I found(I hope) the source of my water leak in boot. Seems to be coming through perished seal around rear tail light,any idea's recommendations where a fella might be able pick up oem one's,or if it's even possible. Thanks in advance folk's.

A decent 10w40 will do for that and the rear seals are available on import car parts .

You’ll find in the cold weather that there will actually be condensation buildup inside the car in the rear so make sure the drains are clear in the rear inner pockets , this can fill up the spare wheel well also

A decent 10w40 will do for that and the rear seals are available on import car parts .

You’ll find in the cold weather that there will actually be condensation buildup inside the car in the rear so make sure the drains are clear in the rear inner pockets , this can fill up the spare wheel well also
Thanks Baz, yea this leak has been bugging me for age's,spent yday in boot with fella running hose over it, it was seaping in around left h/side rear lamp,on closer inspection the seal was well perished so confident that's it finger's crossed. Doing an oil change only because car was parked up for several month's, checked everything over before I started it as suggested on here and there was the smallest oil leak from drain plug in sump(after 5months of been parked there was about size of 2euro coin of oil on shed floor)Tightened it,got about 2ml on it bone dry since but gunna do oil change while I take out the bolt in sump to see if washer inside it is perished,even if it isn't il replace it if I can.

A decent 10w40 will do for that an
Seems a lot of people here are running 10w40, just from brief research Subaru recommends 5w30 on a lot of they're turbo models including my legacy GT. Out of curiosity what is the reasoning or benefits of going up to the heavier oil?

5w30 I think was advised for fuel efficiency/economy but oil pressures will be higher with 10w40 .
To be honest if the engines going to sh*t itself it will won’t matter what grade of oil is in the sump

5w30 I think was advised for fuel efficiency/economy but oil pressures will be higher with 10w40 .
To be honest if the engines going to sh*t itself it will won’t matter what grade of oil is in the sump
Haha none the wiser so but as you say if the engine is gunna bawk it's gunna bawk..I will have think about it do little bit more research on it,let ye know what I decide in the end,thanks

I've been using fully synthetic castrol in the STI since I've got it, 10w40. I know other lads that use 5w30, 10w60 etc.
I had fully synthetic Castrol 10w40 in it when getting mapped by AP, asked him was that OK to map with, he confirmed and advised I keep using that or some other reputable 10w40. The more I read on it, the more I think that as long as its a reputable brand, any brand synthetic 10w40 would do for daily use....I'm no expert tho lol

I've been using fully synthetic castrol in the STI since I've got it, 10w40. I know other lads that use 5w30, 10w60 etc.
I had fully synthetic Castrol 10w40 in it when getting mapped by AP, asked him was that OK to map with, he confirmed and advised I keep using that or some other reputable 10w40. The more I read on it, the more I think that as long as its a reputable brand, any brand synthetic 10w40 would do for daily use....I'm no expert tho lol

What Castrol full synthetic 10w40 are you using?

Silly question maybe but then again no such thing as a silly question especially when it comes to car's, recommended engine oil for 00' Sti wagon? Also from earlier post I found(I hope) the source of my water leak in boot. Seems to be coming through perished seal around rear tail light,any idea's recommendations where a fella might be able pick up oem one's,or if it's even possible. Thanks in advance folk's.

Best of both worlds would be 5w40 full synthetic with the Fiat "Z2" spec as it has extra zinc for higher performance. Such as Shell Ultra 5w40 or Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40

10w40 is fine, but full synthetic is always best for turbocharged engines.

If you need any further advice, feel free to give me a call at the shop tomorrow. You can find us via Google - "The Oil Store".

Last edited:
What Castrol full synthetic 10w40 are you using?

Editing cause my thick night shift brain hasn't adjusted back to day time hours yet lol

Mobil One last time, 10w40, can't remember what individual bottle it was
Castrol for the 3 tmes before that, upon looking, I remember it was actually 5w30, its down on my service history as ultra synthetic...?
First service when I got it last May was Valvoline 10w40

Changed back to 10w40 after hearing the 5w30 was a bit light for it

Last edited:
Had a stock WRX blob and put 10-50 into it as it was getting older but 10-40 is just as fine.

Mine was only used on weekends and not parked for long.

As for your leak, it’s often just the seal. New ones can still be got.

Last edited:
Had a stock WRX blob and out 10-50 into it as it was getting older but 10-40 is just as fine.

Mine was only used on weekends and not parked for long.

As for your leak, it’s often just the seal. New ones can still be got.
Any idea's for the seals?I looked up car import part's as suggested in earlier post but says out of stock

Any idea's for the seals?I looked up car import part's as suggested in earlier post but says out of stock
It was the large seal that went around the whole boot at the top and not the lamp itself.

I wrapped it around with boot open and stuck it on.

Difference being that Brexit hadn’t happened yet and lots of bits were still available, plus I had a newer blob and not classic.

Back