no insurance disc

scoobyjoe2007

Petrolheads
lads a friend mine had her cat taken off her last night by the guards...

she only bought the car tuesday so had no disc on window but had transferred it over

she tried to explain to the guard that she just bought the car but he was having none of it...

she produced her certificate today and had to pay 160 euro to get the car back..125 tow charge and 35 storage fee

can she claim this money somehow as the car was insured.... it had tax and nct also

should she not have had 10 days to produce

cheers for any advice....

No if you can't prove then and there that you have insurance they can take the car off you. Happened me before, reg on the cert didn't match the car as I was waiting on the new one.

:angry1: :angry1:

Guards :clap: What happens when some poor women is left at the side of the road and ends up being murdered or raped?

:angry1: guards, muppets

Id say ye could be fighting a loosing battle there, just a knob of a gaurd id say,
should have given the ten days but i would imagine the non display is enough
to take it, i was stopped without as much as a disc holder and explained i had
only bought it and was told it was grand :thumbsup:

also always keep the reciept for the car in the car with you for awhile after you buy it.. i bought mine last month, 2 weeks later bantry gaurds stopped me, no tax or insurance on the car as they didnt arrive yet.
they werent very happy but had the proof with me and they let me go.

I was sayin to myself afterwards that they would of loved to see it taken off me LOL

I thought the Gardai now had access to the Insurance database? Surely a quick check of that would have sorted it all out rather than confiscating the car.

Failure to display - Even if you have cert in the car can still be done.

Change of ownership showing sale date should be ok for most.But theres always one.
My tax is out since the start of the month and have been told theres a months grace.Wouldnt drive except extreme emergency.Dont want to give them any excuse to stop me.

Once car is towed fines must be paid.

:smokin:

I dont think that months grace thing is applied anymore. Not from what I have heard from other people anyway.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=23743.msg282986#msg282986 date=1274396595]
I dont think that months grace thing is applied anymore. Not from what I have heard from other people anyway.
[/quote]

Under section 41 of the road traffic act, they can impound any vehicle that has no tax and/or insurance.

However, you will notice when you get your tax renewal that you have till the end of the following month to pay it, they just back tax it, after 1 month you owe the arrears and can't tax it online. So you have 1 month grace but as already said you can get a pr1ck of a garda and they will take the car off you

When it comes to insurance though, there is no leway at all, the only way the garda know if you have insurance is because you fill it out when you tax the car, Problem with this is if your insurance is up for renewal in july, but you tax your car for a year in june, the garda comp says you've no insurance after july, thats why you need something in the window :thumbsup:

Gardai have been told by the government to do everyone for everything possible-its because of the financial crisis

I got stopped 3 days after i bought the scooby not even a holder in the window let alone any discs but i just showed the reciept for the car and all she said was i was mad to spend that kinda money on a 99 i didnt even have an old insurance cert cos the crowd i was with wouldnt cover a subaru so i had taken out a new policy and just had the number written down

Back