New trailer Laws

gerry

Octane Boostaholics
Does anyone know what the story with the new trailer laws is. I have rigid licence but I'm told its no use. What kind of a trailer can you put behind a van with your car licence now

According to Pop, who read it in the Farmers Journal. A single axle up to 750kg is still ok to pull behind car on B-licence. Over that or >2 axles need trailer licence. NCT coming in for them soon too. No home made stuff will pass. Needs to be a manufacturer. Open to correction on this though. :anyone:

Thanks for that Eoin.. single axle it is so... What can you pull with a tractor

eoin is dead on there ,but I think the tractors are due an over haul in the near future talks that you will need an articulated truck licence to pull a loaded trailer with a tractor if the government get their way and the rsa

[quote author=scoobysub link=topic=42788.msg490160#msg490160 date=1411074952]
Anything it will pull with in reason . Don't worry Gerry the turf will be safe :icon_biggrin:
[/quote]

lol.. to hell with the turf I was hauling around cattle the last few days.. I thought the rigid licence would cover me for all but it won't.. mad law really if you can drive a 10 tonne lorry but cant drive a twin axle trailer on the back of a van.. sounds like another money racket

It's getting complicated alright and some of the newer tractors by law you need truck licence. John deer with 40k box I think is one.

[quote author=blacktar link=topic=42788.msg490178#msg490178 date=1411076480]
It's getting complicated alright and some of the newer tractors by law you need truck licence. John deer with 40k box I think is one.
[/quote]

I'd say it's the ones that can go more than 40K, some can go 50K but have to be plumbed for air brakes, so that the trailer will air brakes too, not sure about the licence !
open to correction :thumbsup:

Good man Colm for them links. is it me or is it still hard to know. it don't mention axles on the b licence on the 01 and trailers only on brakes. it goes by combined weight.. its as clear as mud really

Its weight not axels.
On the RSA it says that a B licence holder can only tow a trailer up to 750kg OR combined vehicle and trailer not exceeding 3500kg

In some cases a jeep pulling a horse box is legal on an ordinary b licence, problem arises if you put a couple of horses in the bloody box, the horses will put you over the gross vehicle capacity for a b licence. Weight of jeep 2500kg box 800kg if the horse is over 200kg your overweight. You will need a "eb" licence for this. Where you will then work off the gross vehicle weight of the jeep which will be in or around 6/7 tonne depending on the jeep. (Car/van etc )

[quote author=SCOOBYCOLM link=topic=42788.msg490872#msg490872 date=1411505754]
And probably loads off ways of insurance to not pay out too then :icon_hang:
[/quote]

Thats for sure.. just another way out

and don't forget the towing capacity of the vehicle, you need something bmw 5 series size to pull a car on a trailer.

Back