Nct

Scoobyturbo

ISDC Club Member
Came across this and was thinking is there a case to answer for the crowd that run the nct?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-nct-before-fatal-crash-inquest-31161039.html

Car failed nct then passed with what looks like no or minimal repairs and ended up in a crash causing deaths.

I was at a test centre few weeks ago and got talking to a lad with a golf that was on coil-overs he was telling me it failed for been to low.
The lad brought it home tried to adjust them but damaged the adjuster on the first one so stopped.
He chanced his arm brought it back and it passed.
He actually walked back in to tell me and told me in front of one of the testers that it was a scam and he had not changed a thing the tester just laughed and walked off.

If a guard stands up in court at an inquiry for such a serious accident and tells the judge the car was not road worthy but had passed the nct should there not be some sort of investigation by the guards?
Should the RSA not be getting involved also as they were one of the big promoters of the nct?

The craic there is and this is inside info gospel...they have to have at least a sixty eight percent fail rate per tester and are told to find something to fail a car on you'll always find something. When they start the first question they are asked is. What's the most important thing we do here. A real answer would be insuring car safety and standards. The actual answer they want to here is. The most important thing to do here is make money. Hence the sixty eight percent must have fail rate for every tester.

Shocked at 68% target for fails per tester
I personaly think there should be no targets attached to testing cars
They should only concentrate there targets on how long your waiting for a test.

It's a privately owned business . It's there to make money so obviously they will try retest cars again and again . It's much the same as irish water in that it's designed to be a money maker . Same as speed cameras . All privately owned all out to make money .

Mad that a lose ball joint would be passed as per the article as it would need to go back on the test lane and the plate test should turn it up easily. NCT company probably has a disclaimer that excludes any liability as a result of failed / worn parts and any consequences. One would seriously wonder about the tester though as that person would have seen the fail comment on the sheet when doing the retest. I know if it was me I wouldn't sleep to easy after it...

With regards the Golf and coil-overs story... REALLY hope this kind of thing doesn't get picked up by RSA / policy makers and outlaw the use of coil-overs on road legal cars (in lots of countries coil-overs are not street-legal). Just because some knob doesn't know what he's doing by lowering too much, or installing / adjusting them wrongly (like leaving spring seat lose etc), stuff shouldn't get banned... yet it does :angry1:

We have adequate legislation to deal with all these types of scenarios, but not properly publicised or enforced rigorously enough --> the driver is at all times responsible for the roadworthiness of the vehicle in their control in a public area and is liable for any resulting breach of the road traffic act and/or damage that may result... Note "driver" and not "owner".

Hence council for the driver is bringing up a further investigation as he may try to shift blame to the NCT centre as otherwise always going to be clearly driver's fault (his client). Insurance may not cover damages either if it was clear the car was not roadworthy, especially as the driver was made aware of the fault through the failed NCT. Maybe time to send a strong message and make an example out of this driver?

Think about the situation where a car like this is failed on NCT as too dangerous and not roadworthy... yet someone will then get into it and drive it away until such time they may get the failure issue fixed (or not as was seemingly the case in this tragic accident). Would it not make more sense that failures are categorised such that for example a blown bulb gets treated as ok to drive home, but loose ball-joint / cracked brake pipe etc means car is not released back to the owner to drive away and only to a garage for collection and repair?

Opinions / thoughts?

[quote author=scoobyturbo link=topic=44516.msg514299#msg514299 date=1429646259]
Shocked at 68% target for fails per tester
I personaly think there should be no targets attached to testing cars
They should only concentrate there targets on how long your waiting for a test.
[/quote]

:plusone: on not having a minimum fail-rate "quota"... that's criminal (as in robbing you and me is theft = criminal).

Their target should be:
a) consistency
b) 0%, or as close as possible, passes of dangerous and car not roadworthy (as happened to car in news article)
c) reduce wait times to get a test

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=44516.msg514301#msg514301 date=1429647568]
It's a privately owned business . It's there to make money so obviously they will try retest cars again and again . It's much the same as irish water in that it's designed to be a money maker . Same as speed cameras . All privately owned all out to make money .
[/quote]
Semi state actually.

[quote author=scrawnban link=topic=44516.msg514304#msg514304 date=1429648435]
[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=44516.msg514301#msg514301 date=1429647568]
[/quote]
Semi state actually.
[/quote]
it's a private company, the tender is just put up by the state every 10 years or so.
they are working for the state but completely private company. think they are spanish or else the previous crowd were spanish.

Bunch off plonkers these NCT tests,I had the wagon up for Nct,so she failed on headlight alignment,wheel alignment and a leaking steering boot,So came home checked the boot,cleaned it and left the car alone and booked a retest for today.Just got back and it passed,he checked the lights and never bothered checking wheel alignment and boot,drove the car straight out the otherside and called to say it passed....WTF.... :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Passed today but I'm not sure how really. Airbag light not working properly, hand brake needs tightening and a couple of small niggly bits but yet it passed. I'm not complaining though, had hoped to use the test to have a definite list of what needed repair but I'll get what I know done myself over the next couple of weeks.

Back