NCT

adrianfa

ISDC Club Member
Our '05 mazda 3 is due its NCT on April 27th.
The other half rang up this week to book a slot and was told that if she did it before January 27th she would get a 2 year NCT.
If I had heard that from anyone else I would have said that that is wrong......but the NCT person has booked her in for January 19th so that she can get the 2 year NCT (all going well).
But if she waits to do it within 3 months of the due date, she will only get a one year NCT.

Questions:
Was I wrong to think that -
1. You couldn't book an NCT over 3 months in advance?
2. The NCT was dated on the due date no matter when you did it (so why the difference between doing it within 30 days compared to outside of 30 days)?
3. A 10 year old car couldn't get a 2 year NCT?

:ponder2:

BTW, she only rang up yesterday and got the date for next Monday in Galway.

For cars over ten years now if you book it more than 3 months early it changes the nct due date for future to one year from the date it passes was in the booklet they send out with the confirmation letter

My car is 10 years in september and due NCT around the same date.
I would have imagine that they go by date of firts registration???

[quote author=dontommy link=topic=43688.msg503026#msg503026 date=1421219885]
My car is 10 years in september and due NCT around the same date.
I would have imagine that they go by date of firts registration???
[/quote]
they do if tested up to 3 months early but now if tested earlier than that the next NCT is due a year from the date it passes

[quote author=stel94 link=topic=43688.msg503027#msg503027 date=1421220852]
https://www.ncts.ie/q23voluntaryearlytesting.html
[/quote]
Thanks stel94, for some silly reason i hadnt thought to look that up myself on the nct site.... :)

According to the link above, if you look at the example they give, you will get a 2 year nct if your car is between 4 years old and 9 years and 9 months old, but the next test date is reset to the second anniversary of the voluntary test date.
Effectively, you're pushing out your next NCT due date by 9 months from your normal due date.

If you leave your car until it is 9 years, 9 months and 1 day, you'll only get a 1 year test from the normal due date.

All a load of bollox and unfair to existing 12 month cars
Why are one group gettin 75% extra test for the same cost
Great if you get it yourself
But am I the only one who hates when things like this aren't equal for all motorists
Maybe it's just me
Rant over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD App Thingy

I agree colm it is a joke but the biggeat of all is sone of the goons working in these jobs,some haven't a clue

makes no sense alright.....test your car this week and it's fine for 2 years, but test it next week and they'll need to see it again next year to make sure it is safe to drive.

Surely, if they think it is ok to let an almost 10 year old car have a 2 year test, they should just do it for all 10 year old cars, and not base the validity duration on when you did the test.

Load of bollocks, Tryed it with the women 05 Corolla in November as it was 10 years in January

Only giving 1year test

Shocking!
The terms of time on which our existence on this planet is based (days, weeks, years), does not apply for NCT authorities!

http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/26585/nct_backlog_could_see_motorists_hit_with_fine

6 minute podcast there on the Matt cooper show
Some good points about how long it's taking to get a test and up to the guards discretion
Best point is that's all well and good but if you crash technically your where driving a non road worthy car
It's a scandal
People could be in serious bother and no fault of there own
The money motorists spend and we are treated with no regard whatsoever
Sickening stuff :angry1:

I got a letter on the post to say if I booked early they would give me a 2 year cert. I was straight on the phone and booked back in November.

Back