NCT fail on WRX

edcoyle1

Hi All, brought the wrx hawk in for its first NCT since i purchased and it failed on emissions and a few other small things.... see attahed nct report.

i added the emissions reducer to the fuel a day before ..... and given a good hard drive on the way in but no joy...

any and all advice welcome :)
cheers

Attachments

• nct.jpg
    nct.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
Dont see many of them

looks a nice motor
its rare enough alright, its not bad, there was plenty of work i had to get done as it was sitting around for a while, also the body work was sh*t, still plenty of small dents i need to get sorted but cant find anyone in the midlands area... will try and drive for the summer if i get the NCT and do some work on it over the winter..... or so is the plan..

02 sensor I'd say (if they havent been changed in the last few years)

There are 2

Pre cat = the one on the down pipe

Post cat = the one on the centre section

Not sure which one is gone I'd guess the front
Personally I would change both to be sure
Maybe someone else can advise better which one it is :thumbsup:
great stuff, thanks Colm, yea i wouldnt have a clue if they have been changed as the history wasnt all there.... but ill mention to my mechanic and your right, best change maybe both while doing it....... cheers

Lamba I’d say as it’s out of range .

You could be in bother with the brake lines if it’s the union in front of the fuel tank as there’s a lot of stripping to replace them 2 rear lines

Lamba I’d say as it’s out of range .

You could be in bother with the brake lines if it’s the union in front of the fuel tank as there’s a lot of stripping to replace them 2 rear lines
i think its the opposite side to the fuel tank but need to take a look at the cert again..... lets hope not, the bills are building up at this stage..:cry:

Sounds like the air/fuel lambda before cat, common issue.

If you are handy with brake pipe cutting/bending and have the tools…
You can chop the brake line, once it’s handy to get to and put a nice new pipe section in, in the place of the old corroded one.

Or bring the pipe back to metal and
Smooth and paint it black!

If you’ve no experience with brake systems get someone to do it for you.

FYI…. Don’t FCUK with brake systems if you are not knowledgeable 👍🏻

If it’s the rear pipe union there’s no room as the fuel tank is the way so not enough for a getting a joiner and crimp tool onto 👍

Sounds like the air/fuel lambda before cat, common issue.

If you are handy with brake pipe cutting/bending and have the tools…
You can chop the brake line, once it’s handy to get to and put a nice new pipe section in, in the place of the old corroded one.

Or bring the pipe back to metal and
Smooth and paint it black!

If you’ve no experience with brake systems get someone to do it for you.

FYI…. Don’t FCUK with brake systems if you are not knowledgeable 👍🏻
thanks Graham, im dropping to my mechanic monday morning, your right, its not good to mess with brakes :ROFLMAO:

Not really as there’s no clips to hold them . But if fixed clips on it could be done but you have the prop shaft there so that’s the reason they go up over the tank to stay out of the way 👍

Hi all, so brought the car in again today for NCT retest and failed on emissions again. I had replaced both O2 sensors but no joy but there was an improvement..... attached is the NCT cert with the fail....... anyone know if there is anything else can be changed or any experts in the midlands area? cheers, Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 16
Just seeing this now you're lambda is perfect and no leaks by the looks in system. You are not far off on co2 level and might scrape it with some diptane in petrol. I had same issue with co2 on a standard system so got another cat fitted to get it through emissions just an aftermarket one as I run a decat so doesn't stay in. I reckon they have changed the calculations on emissions in nct as the amount of cars failing is seriously higher now and not just subaru hope this will help

Gotn
Just seeing this now you're lambda is perfect and no leaks by the looks in system. You are not far off on co2 level and might scrape it with some diptane in petrol. I had same issue with co2 on a standard system so got another cat fitted to get it through emissions just an aftermarket one as I run a decat so doesn't stay in. I reckon they have changed the calculations on emissions in nct as the amount of cars failing is seriously higher now and not just subaru hope this will helpful
Got it through Gary and as you say I had to have a universal cat put in, my mechanic put it though and he said the guy was at it for ages, and it was borderline .. they wouldn’t have spent the time if it had been me…. So got a year on it… but looks like something has tightened up on emissions .. it’s amazing when you see these dirty diesels in a ploom of black smoke flying through!

Back