NCT (almost passed πŸ˜‚)

DonegalWinger

1999 Subaru Legacy GTB Twin Turbo (JDM, BH5)
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone would be able to help with a few NCT bits.
Got a high lambda fail at 1.08 (pass range 0.97-1.03). Wondering if the lambda is shot or if I have a leak. Any advice welcome.

Also, need to replace inner tie rods, anyone in Dublin (ish) area that would have a inner tie rod tool I could borrow to make the job easy?

Thanks,
Pauric

a high lambda means theres too much oxygen, so it would hint at a leak, so I would check for leaks before buying a new sensor.
Has it passed before?

a high lambda means theres too much oxygen, so it would hint at a leak, so I would check for leaks before buying a new sensor.
Has it passed before?
Thanks was leaning that was. There was turbo work done on it so might be a down pipe or Y pipe issue.
It's passed emissions on other tests but failed on other things which they haven't called out this time πŸ€”πŸ˜‚

Have plans to do new (used) subframe in the back, all new bushings all round and all new ball joints, drop links, etc. Then some rust on the sill, paint correction and she'll be mint.

Want to get her through NCT on retest while the list is short πŸ˜‚

Had the car in the garage today to get the inner/outer tie rods done and for them to have a look at the exhaust/emissions issue. Terrible service (long story short) and they only did the tie rods.
Have the retest tomorrow at lunch time so wondering if there is any use in running the car super hot tomorrow before the test to help with emissions? Will this help or make the reading worse?
Any other options like Redex?
I will look into the issue after but just want to get the cert for now.

Last edited:
Thats a bollox, all you can do at this stage is take it for a good run and get it good and hot and see how you get on..

any additives wouldnt effect the lambda reading, and its too close to the test to do anything really. And temp of the car / cat shouldnt effect it either. That would only save you on the other emission test other than lambda.
Only thing to do really is hope the fairies pass it 🀣

Haha yeah sending positive vibes for tomorrow πŸ˜‚ i have to the end of the month so if it fails tomorrow I'll get another stab at it before the retest window expires
🀞🀞🀞🀞🀞

Tie rods/slip test passed, tyre valves passed and lambda high rev the exact same πŸ˜‚ 1.08.

Threw in some redex MOT stuff and drove her real warm pre test but did absolutely nothing as you predicted πŸ˜‚

I have until the 1st of Feb so gonna try and book it in to a garage and get it checked for leak and sensor πŸ™Œ

yeah lambda is probably the hardest thing to chase tbh :( It does sound like a leak hopefully simple, try to get a emissions test before the NCT so you know for sure, some garages will do it or know where

Finally got it up on axle stands and found the leak! In the video you can see moisture and smoke coming from 2 spots in the Y pipe section.
Getting it welded on Friday and have time for one last chance at the retest before the 1st!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240122_153445237.mp4
    84.8 MB
I'm in the same boat, failed emissions 3 times in December but my cat failed too early so I was waiting for a free replacement off magna flow and that took too long to arrive πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Couldn't get a garage in Clonmel to weld the exhaust and ended up getting a blacksmith/jack of all trades to look at it Friday.
He ended up making it worse πŸ™ˆ
Got JB weld epoxy and got it in all the gaps. Just had the test and got a 1.02 reading so finally have 3 discs in the windscreen......only took 6 years πŸ˜‚ πŸ™Œ

Attachments

• PXL_20240129_172607707.jpg
    PXL_20240129_172607707.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Back