MY08 WRX V Civic Type R

H

http90

Taken from Auto Express...................

Subaru Impreza twin test
Subaru Impreza vs Honda Civic
Subaru’s new hatchback Impreza has already divided opinion. But is the first hot version, the WRX, a match for the Honda Civic Type R?

car_photo_230526_7.jpg

It’s the car that reinvented Subaru. Helped by its rally exploits, the Impreza transformed the firm from a farmyard 4x4 manufacturer to a brand with an incredibly loyal following among performance car fans.

Employing Subaru’s trademark boxer engine and all-wheel drive, the WRX first appeared in 1992, and through its various incarnations has been available as a coupé, saloon and estate. However, the latest version is a real departure. Bosses are keen to see the standard Impreza rival mainstream models such as the Ford Focus and Honda Civic – so that means the new WRX is now a hatchback for the first time.

As a result, buyers need to get used to the idea of the Impreza being labelled a hot hatch. OK, so its four-wheel-drive system isn’t standard fare in the class, but with 227bhp it’s level pegging with most opponents.

And there’s another Japanese hot hatch which is held in equally high esteem. Ever since the first Integra Type R was launched in 1995, Hondas wearing that badge have been known for delivering sizzling front-wheel-drive dynamics – on a par with the 4WD reverence given to the Impreza.

And the latest version is arguably the greatest of all: the Civic Type R. Race bred, rev-hungry and normally aspirated, it’s poles apart from the Impreza on paper – but will the two be equally matched in reality? Find out as we put these performance legends head-to-head on British roads.

[size=15pt]VERDICT[/size]
Even though the Impreza WRX is now a hatchback, owners of the previous model will undoubtedly feel at home. The trouble is, that’s not necessarily a good thing – we don’t think the latest model moves the game on enough.

True, the distinctive boxer engine note is still a big draw, and the four-wheel-drive traction and accessible performance make it relaxing to drive. But where’s the progress over the old car?

While the Subaru has a better ride and more grip, it’s let down by poor economy and high emissions, and is more expensive to buy, own and run than its opponent here. The styling is questionable, the interior is drab and it can’t match the Civic for space or quality. The Impreza WRX simply doesn’t come across as being terribly modern or desirable.

More importantly, the Honda handles better. It feels lighter and more agile in the corners, has sharper and more communicative steering, plus superior brakes. Add in the fact that it has a slicker gearbox and keener throttle response, and it’s the Type R which is the more enjoyable car to drive – and that makes it the winner in this test.

Suprise Suprise ...... :hang: :doh:

Unleash the beast..............

car_photo_223624_7.jpg

yeah agree wit ya wetpatch,thats hondas top dog against subarus middle dog...if was against STI.dont think it would come close.... :dunno:

in fairness the wrx shouldn't be coming close to a type r.. says it all really the new model how far they have come.. ya for sure the STi will be a beast even if an ugly one but you'd have thought the wrx would have faired better

I totally agree with the author of that piece..Subaru have not moved the game on enough ..and its stupid to compare a STI to a type r civic...look at the price difference lads...they are cars and products not your kids..this misplaced loyalty in Subaru is a joke..
the car looks cr@p isn't any better than the old one..its a failure plain and simple...constantly saying "just wait for the sti" is irrelevant...the STI's only rival is the EVO and maybe the new 4wd opel vrx that's due out....the wrx is the bread and butter car for Subaru if it fails you wont see another STI...Toyota will swoop in and take a bigger share than they already have it will be bye bye subaru as you know it.
you have to be objective about these things the WRX as it stands is 8 grab dearer than civic type r off the shelf..the STI will be about 14k dearer..thats a decent used impreza type r v5 in the difference

the new STi on release meant to cost 68-70k here...?????????

against price of the evo 10 its a simple choice..

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=4414.msg46914#msg46914 date=1195957233]
the new STi on release meant to cost 68-70k here...?????????

against price of the evo 10 its a simple choice..
[/quote]

that makes comparing to a Civic type r even more ludicrous..the STI will be nearly double the price of it!!

you think thats bad check out the news of the world's motoring section they are comparing the wrx to the new mini estate clubman and worse still they prefer the mini to the wrx :eek:mg:

I was in with Eddie Garry in Waterford a few weeks ago and he told me the new STI will be 70K :shock:

I think I would take a 06 Audi RS4 over it any day and the EVO will undercut it by nearly 17k by all accounts.

Comparing a Type R to an STI makes more sense than comparing it to the new WRX in some ways as the Type R really is that good on a track. But the Golf GTI anniversary edition, Mazda MPS and now Type R have all hammered the new WRX. So too will the Opel OPC, Megane 230 F1, newly revised Focus ST and Seat Cupra R. The new WRX rides on smaller tyres with 2 pot brakes and according to all reviews so far rolls around like a snow boarder. The STI is far too expensive for such a poor interior as you can get faster cars for half the price if you don't care about creature comforts. Lets face it, someone with 70k to spend will want the power and the quality and the looks. On this score the EVO scores 2 out of 3 but the STI only 1. Factor in the 17k price difference and the evo almost becomes the default choice :(

Subaru needs to bring out a WRX saloon with a PPP producing around 280 to 300 bhp otherwise they can forget about the new Impreza being the rally icon it once was. I mean when I saw my first Impreza turbo I knew I just had to have one no matter what but the new car isn't going to win anyone over unless their first name is Stevie, last name wonder :?

Frawls

Regarding WRX Vrs Type R.
I think It's the type of poeple that buy these cars are the type of people that like to modify them!
On that gounds If you spend 2K on the engine and 500 on suspension in both cars the scoobie would out gun the type r in power and handling!
Plus bare in mind you have to screw the nuts of a vteck, and so much of the power is from 3K rpm in the scooby!

Regarding pricing!
If you buy one off litchfield for 27K stg (39K yo yo's) Plus Vrt (based on a new spec c) 18K That's a grand total of
€57,000 Which includes remap to 320bhp and 315lb/ft
So It's not all dome and gloom
Dan

the wrx and type r should have never been rivals..Subaru have gone into a market segment with an over priced under performing car..their fcuked IMO..and the EVO is 17k cheaper??? that is a no brainer...70k for a hot hatch? don't care how good it is you cant justify it..the only thing new your getting is the intelligent diff..the evo has a brand new engine produces more torque from lower down.
I would love someone to make a rational argument( not some subaru smileys with a banner) for the new STI but I don't see it

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=4414.msg47038#msg47038 date=1196110393]
I was in with Eddie Garry in Waterford a few weeks ago and he told me the new STI will be 70K :shock:

I think I would take a 06 Audi RS4 over it any day and the EVO will undercut it by nearly 17k by all accounts.

Comparing a Type R to an STI makes more sense than comparing it to the new WRX in some ways as the Type R really is that good on a track. But the Golf GTI anniversary edition, Mazda MPS and now Type R have all hammered the new WRX. So too will the Opel OPC, Megane 230 F1, newly revised Focus ST and Seat Cupra R. The new WRX rides on smaller tyres with 2 pot brakes and according to all reviews so far rolls around like a snow boarder. The STI is far too expensive for such a poor interior as you can get faster cars for half the price if you don't care about creature comforts. Lets face it, someone with 70k to spend will want the power and the quality and the looks. On this score the EVO scores 2 out of 3 but the STI only 1. Factor in the 17k price difference and the evo almost becomes the default choice :(

Subaru needs to bring out a WRX saloon with a PPP producing around 280 to 300 bhp otherwise they can forget about the new Impreza being the rally icon it once was. I mean when I saw my first Impreza turbo I knew I just had to have one no matter what but the new car isn't going to win anyone over unless their first name is Stevie, last name wonder :?

Frawls
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more

Based on litchfields prices!
The base model my08 sti is £1000 stg cheaper than the my07 was! So I dont see how it's going to be much different here!
And the new wrx is £700 cheaper aswell!
Dan

Dan, The STI's we'll be getting here will be the higher spec ones. Also the price will be set by Subaru Ireland so you cant really equate Litchfield's price drop with a price increase here. Anyway in a few months we will have the new STI and then we'll all know how much it costs for certain but whether its 67k or 70k it wont make much difference as its the kind of shape that you either love or loath.

A friend of mine saw a bunch of new STIs in Prodrive last week and said they looked good. That's all fine and well if you can afford a 70k hatch but the brand was built on the Turbo/WRX and the new one is just plain looking and plain disappointing. If I was in the market for a car like this I would rather the EVO X which looks like it will be only 7k more in standard trim than the WRX.

A WRX saloon with PPP is the only thing that will ignite interest in the new Impreza but whether Subaru will build one or not is anyone's guess. Maybe when they see their poor sales figures they might realize the error of their ways :roll: Lest hope so before its too late otherwise I can see mass defection to the Dark Side :oops:

Frawls

Back