Mtec brake discs. Good or bad??

Colin Wrx

Hi lads,

I’m currently looking at replacing the discs front/rear on my jdm blob sti and have been looking at Mtec ones, they seem to be very reasonably priced and I’m going to put braided lines on also which are good value off Mtec too.
just wondering has anyone used them before and basically are they any good? There is lots of mixed reviews of them online so im a bit on the fence about them!!

Last edited:
Hi lads,

I’m currently looking at replacing the discs front/rear on my jdm blob sti and have been looking at Mtec ones, they seem to be very reasonably priced and I’m going to put braided lines on also which are good value off Mtec too.
just wondering has anyone used them before and basically are they any good? There is lots of mixed reviews of them online so im a bit on the fence about them!!
Used em before had 2 sets on the wrx dimpled groved and the black finish no complaints but if buying for the sti see the lads using brembo disks fairly reasonable price too id imagine quality better on brembo but no experience with em

Found Mtec good to deal with 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_3792.JPG.jpg
    DSC_3792.JPG.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 5
Had Mtec drilled and grooved on my last two cars, front and back, never had an issue.
One warped, but ended out to be a bearing or something at fault, they were actually decent enough to send me two front replacements at 20% off. Pleasure to deal with to be honest.
Don't know what they're like for exceptionally hard driving (track or something) but great for every day and do the job.
I'd recommend to be honest

They are ok but you really can’t go wrong with genuine Brembo ones . Not that expensive. With the size of the discs on Brembo you need to be checking the discs runout with a dial gauge so you don’t get issues with vibration after 1-2000km . This wouldn’t be a issue with the discs just the person fitting them

Thanks for the feedback lads. Baz I put brembo discs on about 1000 miles ago and there warped already. I have been hard on them a few times but not overly hard at the same time if you know what I mean! I have performance friction pads in I was thinking the pads might have been a bit too much for the discs but maybe not?

Not the discs whatsoever.They’re not warped just havnt been installed properly or you have a bearing on the way out .
if you install them , clean the surface of the hub/drive flange up and use a dial gauge to install them you will have no issues.
If you just put them straight on without checking the runout you will 100% have vibration. Not the fault of a disc .

Also because it’s a awd car , runout issues on the rear brakes can show up the same symptoms as a fwd car , vibration through the steering.

I have dealt with this issue for years doing Trackdays and eventually figured it out , the parts are not the problem just the person fitting them , lack of knowledge etc

if you want to pm me I’ll send you my number and I’ll explain in more detail. If you keep fitting new discs you will never get to the bottom of this problem

Baz is right I had issues with mine kept thinking it was fronts he said check rears turned out pads had a glaze on them and disc from going hard. What felt like 4 warped discs was pad material build up. I am going standard brembo discs on rears soon had mtec no issues but don't buy grooved as they make a noise when heavy breaking 👍👍

Thanks for the feedback lads doesn’t sound like it’s going to be as hard on the wallet as I thought to rectify 😂 baz, I’ll chat you about it more Saturday evening in J14 if your down. Thanks again lads👍

Thanks for the feedback lads doesn’t sound like it’s going to be as hard on the wallet as I thought to rectify 😂 baz, I’ll chat you about it more Saturday evening in J14 if your down. Thanks again lads👍

😂
I’m sound in person I swear , chat you then

Back