Legacy Diesel Turbo - like WTH?

kamili

Sunday Drivers
Ok so where do I start with this one.
I drive a 2008 Irish Mk 4 Legacy EE20Z Diesel. Gotta say I love it.

My mechanic is very familiar with the boxer petrol engine having owned several scoobies himself in the past and worked on my petrol legacy but said he is baffled by the diesel one. Specifically the turbo, the location and what appears to be a sump and strange box attached to it.

Can anyone help me shed some light on what is going on under there?

haha yea, ment the engine picture, especially of such sump and box he was talking about

The Diesel engine really nothing to do with the Petrol engine and cant really compare the two.
The turbo position is basically inline with the sump so the turbo oil return needs to be scavenged out of the ?box? you mention and pumped back to the sump.
The reason is otherwise oil would piss out through the seals in the turbo because the oil isn?t being removed fast enough from the return .
The EJ engine has its turbo in a position above the sump and has gravity on its side [emoji1303]

Slatterys subaru garage in Tipperary seem to be leading the way in Subaru diesel rebuilds. Probley give you the best advice :thumbsup:

The Diesel engine really nothing to do with the Petrol engine and cant really compare the two.
The turbo position is basically inline with the sump so the turbo oil return needs to be scavenged out of the ?box? you mention and pumped back to the sump.
The reason is otherwise oil would piss out through the seals in the turbo because the oil isn?t being removed fast enough from the return .
The EJ engine has its turbo in a position above the sump and has gravity on its side [emoji1303]

this is exactly it, is down the bottom of the engine near the drivers side fog light.

I was trying to find info on it online but its not easy to find at all.

I'll try get some pics of it. Its just a bizarre one! the turbo is working perfectly and nothing wrong with it, just wondering if someone could explain the whole set up to me.

found an ebay listing with some pics

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SUBARU-LEGA...220794?hash=item2ab7611aba:g:FFcAAOSwlKlbs27T

Last edited:
this is exactly it, is down the bottom of the engine near the drivers side fog light.

I was trying to find info on it online but its not easy to find at all.

I'll try get some pics of it. Its just a bizarre one! the turbo is working perfectly and nothing wrong with it, just wondering if someone could explain the whole set up to me.

found an ebay listing with some pics

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SUBARU-LEGA...220794?hash=item2ab7611aba:g:FFcAAOSwlKlbs27T

I explained it in my last post there or are you still not clear on what the part is for ?

Back