Kevlar timing belt and water pump kit

Ross Hunt

Getting my timing belt and water pump replaced shortly on my 2.5 Hawkeye STI and was thinking of going down the route of using a kevlar belt. Anyone use them and where did they purchase them.
Thanks Ross.

Getting my timing belt and water pump replaced shortly on my 2.5 Hawkeye STI and was thinking of going down the route of using a kevlar belt. Anyone use them and where did they purchase them.
Thanks Ross.
I've got a couple of timing belts done always stuck with dayco never a issue
ntn and koyo idlers and ashin water pump there's a place in Poland subarurak sells them without charges. stick with intended stuff that subaru used less hassle belts aren't known for snapping idlers do go bad as some places say there good for another bit but no point in doing part of it I see you have Tommys hawk he would have looked after it well previously good to see it back in the club welcome 👍

I've got a couple of timing belts done always stuck with dayco never a issue
ntn and koyo idlers and ashin water pump there's a place in Poland subarurak sells them without charges. stick with intended stuff that subaru used less hassle belts aren't known for snapping idlers do go bad as some places say there good for another bit but no point in doing part of it I see you have Tommys hawk he would have looked after it well previously good to see it back in the club welcome 👍
Appreciate that thanks

Are the Cosworth belts any advantage over the standard kit ? The cosworth belt is about 50 more

As per Gary's post, a good belt make which includes idlers from the likes of NTN and Koyo and Ashin waterpump etc is what you want and more than adequate for any normal stock or mildly tuned engine.

Belts and idlers etc with higher than factory spec (like the Cosworth RCM etc), are really aimed towards build motors that have much lighter flywheels and higher rpm operating bands to deal with very fast RPM changes (much faster than a stock or mild tuned engine), and the higher RPM bands it would live at during racing / rallying (continuous 7-9k, which a stock or mild tuned engine wouldn't see).
It's not that these "better" kits would harm the operation of a more stock engine; however, it would be money wasted as over spec'd for normal engine use.
Could same that money for other parts / upgrades, or a tank of go-juice to be out and enjoy your flat4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-074202_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-074202_eBay.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 0
Any advantage to the dayco teflon lined belts ? Also this seems good value compared to other online prices
They (any teflon coated / lined belts) are supposed to wear less and hence last longer.
Personally, if same price I'd get one as it won't hurt, but would still change and the regular interval I would otherwise have changed it (and never mind what it says in the vehicle service schedule, or the marketing materials of the belt manufacturer).

Back