Interesting new performance meter that works through your cigarette lighter

I know your not trying to sellt hem I'm not trying to get at you just trying to work out how they work...I know basic physics...I think your wrong torque is potential and can only be measured when applied @ rpm then it becomes a force ..this is measureing force applied so it can't measuring torque..I could be wrong but thats my understanding of it..I'm not trying to prove you wrong lad just trying to understand the process..if it works I would be very intertested

Hi Dagnut heres a few definitions that might help clear things up quoted from physics.about.com

Definition: Torque is the tendency of a force to cause or change rotational motion of a body. Torque is calculated by multiplying Force and distance, so the SI units of torque are newton-meters, or N*m (even though this is the same as joules, torque isn't work or energy, so should just be newton-meters).
Also Known As: Moment

Definition: Force is a quantitative description of the interaction between two physical bodies, such as an object and its environment. Force is proportional to acceleration. In calculus terms, force is the derivative of momentum with respect to time.

Definition: Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector. The SI units of momentum are kg * m/s.

I'm not an expert but from above the gtech knows the force and time and I assume the distance is the changing RPM this gives it all it needs to calculate torque at a known rpm.

i did say torque was potential and not a force..so its calculating torque from an estimate of weight displacement basically which can't be accurate..on dyno the torque is calculate by the force applied versus rpm(iin this case the distance)...only2 variables.
The calculation of the force is where the gtech would be inaccurate..you have the weight of the car which can very...the accuracy of the rpm..and the accuracy of the speed.
your saying it calculates torque ata known rpm..it doesn't ,it has to know the power at that rpm to calculate the torque...torque is potential until rpms are applied and it then becomes power. Look whatever the pedantic argument about torque..I know your saying it works but Id have to see it against a dyno run to be convinced.
Welcome to the club sorry for all the boll0x just interesting to me

[quote author=bill13 link=topic=14606.msg181856#msg181856 date=1240917179]
No problem frawls if you want to try it just pm me and we'll arrange to meet somewhere, :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I'm off to have a vice placed around my head now to stop it bursting after all that technical debate :shock2:

As I know the bhp and torque of my car (it has a standard Upsolute remap with no mods so it should be 240 bhp and 258 ib/ft or 350 nm at 1,800 rpms). If I gave the Gtech Pro SS a go and it gave similar results then you would have to say no matter how it actually works it is reasonably accurate and a good investment for anyone thinking of doing a few mods and wants to check before and after results without having the expense of Dynoing the car.

I'd love to give it a go. Unfortunately as I'm not a full member anymore I can't PM you but as a full member you can PM me and I can reply to your PM as it gives your e mail. (Just click the little envelope icon under my name).

Cheers for the offer :thumbsup:

Frawls

[quote author=Scruff link=topic=14606.msg180853#msg180853 date=1240582364]
It uses witchcraft.
[/quote]

i going with you on this one :lolpoint:

Hi Bill. I got your PM but unfortunately I can't reply as it transpires sending and replying to PM's is restricted to full members only.

if you send mean e mail to dfrawley@ohaganward.ie I will get back to you for sure. I live in Dublin but Nass is only a half hour away. Maybe we could meet up some evening next week?

Frawls

[quote author=coopster link=topic=14606.msg182108#msg182108 date=1240953560]
[quote author=Scruff link=topic=14606.msg180853#msg180853 date=1240582364]
It uses witchcraft.
[/quote]

i going with you on this one :lolpoint:
[/quote]

+1

:smokin:

I met up with Shane last night and gave this device a try. Unfortunately it couldn't read the rpm signature of my car so we couldn't set it up properly. It is a small, well made expensive looking device and Shane assures me it works perfectly on his 03 sti.

We did a few runs to see what bhp figures it gave for my car but without being properly set up the figures it gave were not reliable and seemed way too low. I would have like to have tested it with it being full set up but we just couldn't get it to read the rpm signature. Anywho many thanks to Shane for meeting up with me. For the record, Shane did say it took a while to get it to work for his car when he first got it but eventually he got it to work just fine. It seems the ignition signal is just too faint in my car for the Gtect to pick it up but with patience and more time I think we would have probably got it working.

Frawls

Back