Insurance Companies That Will Cover a 2007 WRX STI [GRB Hatchback]

CMX70

ISDC Club Member
Guys,

I recently sold my GC8 & would like to replace it with an '07 WRX STI (GRB 5-Door), I am scanning the Jap sites and one has peaked my interest. I would like to tap ye lads for advice on how to proceed, specifically how to vet auction car sites and who to approach for insurance and an imported JDM car.

May I ask ye;
Q. What precautions do you suggest taking when dealing with Jap Auction sites? It appears to be a very common way of selling cars over there.

Q. I am seeking insurance for this proposed car. AUTOLINE classic insurance will not cover it, the car is to young for them. Can you direct me to an insurance company that covers Jap Imports such as the one I have in mind?

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran

Well to answer your first question, just because it is from Japan, that doesn't mean it's 'fresh'. For example you see one that is 3.5/4 rated with the usual wear, I'd ask for lots of pictures of outside and underneath. Buying from auction always is a risk but I would avoid anything from up north in Sapporo as they get lots of snow in Winter.

Guys,

I recently sold my GC8 & would like to replace it with an '07 WRX STI (GRB 5-Door), I am scanning the Jap sites and one has peaked my interest. I would like to tap ye lads for advice on how to proceed, specifically how to vet auction car sites and who to approach for insurance and an imported JDM car.

May I ask ye;
Q. What precautions do you suggest taking when dealing with Jap Auction sites? It appears to be a very common way of selling cars over there.

Q. I am seeking insurance for this proposed car. AUTOLINE classic insurance will not cover it, the car is to young for them. Can you direct me to an insurance company that covers Jap Imports such as the one I have in mind?

Thanks & Regards,
Ciaran
I’d also budget for €2k plus to get car sorted on top of taxes

timing belt kit
full Service including spark plugs
map car
tyres
stereo
alarm

Best advice is make sure you can get insurance first . Call up the insurance companies with a reg the same spec as the 1 your looking at and see what they give you .
if acceptable then look to import . Your looking for a 07 jdm sti hawk . 2k for maintenance bits , 5-6k for vrt . Car auction price depending on grade 7-10k . Taxes duty import feeds transportation 3-5k .
so your looking At between 17-23k with out looking under it or hearing it run . If you never did it before use an auction site like jdm auction watch https://www.jdmauctionwatch.com/ It will save you the hassle as there a good bit of paper work to do to get it sorted in Japan for the boat and stuff

I get my insurance through a broker mc carthys in tralee and have been with a host of insurance companys down the years with alliance at the mo my broker will always look to get it cheaper and the same policy open driving , anyway every year my car comes up as a spec d and i say a spec d is a jap import my car is irish its on the policy as a spec d and i say will i get it cheaper to always be tolded no its all the same . just my two cents.

I get my insurance through a broker mc carthys in tralee and have been with a host of insurance companys down the years with alliance at the mo my broker will always look to get it cheaper and the same policy open driving , anyway every year my car comes up as a spec d and i say a spec d is a jap import my car is irish its on the policy as a spec d and i say will i get it cheaper to always be tolded no its all the same . just my two cents.
Spec D is not a jdm specific model, and in fact is a UK specific model.
Jdm usually dearer to insure, so not like for like and could well invalidate your policy if you had a JDM car.
Either way, it's all about what comes out of the VIN and hence logbook (and these days much more accurate than in the past when there was little correlation between logbook entries and actual cars due to the cowboy brigade slipping the brown envelops to reg sti as 1.6L etc to dodge dear vrt bills) .

I’d also budget for €2k plus to get car sorted on top of taxes

timing belt kit
full Service including spark plugs
map car
tyres
stereo
alarm
What shop is recommended for a remap? Can I assume the knock sensor in the engine will feedback to protect against knock when on 95 octane? Is the remap require for improved performance or engine bottom end lifespan?

Thanks, Regards & Happy New Year.
Ciaran

A lot in the club over recent years have had good results from AP Performance in Galway.
There are a few others who have experience mapping Subarus, but always good to ask for feedback before pulling the trigger.

If it is a JDM car you will need to get it mapped for our fuel. The JDM map is geared towards high octane Jap fuel, and too much of a difference with what we get to be able to self adjust using knock sensor etc. In the short term you can drive it off boost till you get mapped (and / or use an effective high quality octane booster in the fuel like NF Octane booster). Drive it properly on RON95 without a map and it will not live for long. Apart from making the map safe for running the car on RON95 it will usually add a few ponies and torques too. Speak to your mapper though to manage expectations and any stage 0+1 mods that might make sense to get the best results.

AP performance in Galway . Newage cars can adjust for fuels certain amount but a remap to adjust it properly and get the best performance and to be running Smooth and safe .
a remap is 500 quid a rebuild is 5000

AP performance in Galway . Newage cars can adjust for fuels certain amount but a remap to adjust it properly and get the best performance and to be running Smooth and safe .
a remap is 500 quid a rebuild is 5000
Sound advice. Thanks.

Guys,

I got a quote from Britton Insurance = E1808. This car would not be my daily driver therefore I am starting again with zero No Claims Bonus. Would ye guys suppose that with the accumulation of a No Claims bonus the premium would reduce to sub 1300 but not much less?

These numbers do not compare well against the insurance rates available now for a GC8. Such a car = 440 pa with Autoline "classic" car insurance, the underwriter is reputable Allianz. The limitations above & beyond the usual =
[1] <5k annual mileage
[2] Must not be your daily driver

The car I am enquiring after is pictured below...

1609966543265.png
1609967237670.png

The spec sheet for the car lists the following differences from OEM;
  • HKS harmonic drive coilovers
  • TRUST muffler
  • Prodrive 17 aluminum
  • Valenti tail lens
  • STI tower bar
  • Brembo caliper
  • Recaro half leather seat
  • HID
Let me ask ye guys, would ye be concerned with suspension setup on that car, if running on coilovers and with a tower bar that car would require a professional setup and alignment otherwise it's handling and line will not run true?

FYI:
This car can be imported for a jaw dropping E32,600 but it is pristine with 88,000km on the clock.

1609966994369.png

I paid 2k+ to get on the road with my blob in 2016. Granted I was under 25 but that was the only quote I could get. Trying to do the right thing gets you penalised.

Roads are a lot rougher here than in Japan But would just be a bit bouncy drive as there usually stiffer over there Nice looking car

An interesting thing, it would take 7 years before the GRB would qualify for a "classic insurance" quote with Autoline, in the meantime the premium = 1800 compared to the '99 GC8 = 440. Doing the math the difference in insurance premiums over the 7 year spread equals the price difference between the two cars now :unsure:

1610059187632.png

- Ciaran

Just giving a +1 for AP performance, my 06 2.5 sti PPP was mapped for 97 octane from factory. Took it up to AP and he mapped it for our fuel, now has 323hp and 500NM of torque! It was like a different car after him. And that's stock with just the PPP parts (fuel pump, rear muffler).

I'm paying 1700 with Britton with a perfect driving record :(

Back