Impreza engine problems

GerryN

ISDC Club Member
Hey guys. I’ve a 00 impreza uk2000. I was on the run down to gougane last April with the club and had a few water pipes blow on my engine if anyone that was on that run can remember. Anyway I’ve had the pipes repaired but still have issues with overheating. A mechanic who looked at the engine has said that the engine doesn’t look great and has signs of overheating a lot of times over the years. So here’s my question. I’m looking for some help of what to do next? I’m willing to put in a few thousand to sort the engine. Whether that be a new engine or having the engine re done. I’m not really sure what to do so I’m looking for some help on this. Also if anyone on here knows of somewhere in cork that would be good at this type of thing.
Thanks

Sad times Gerry but not the end of the world ,
Might be worth trying a new rad and thermostat before pulling the engine but if she was overheating on them mountain roads chances are a head gasket has been damaged but you never know

Sad times Gerry but not the end of the world ,
Might be worth trying a new rad and thermostat before pulling the engine but if she was overheating on them mountain roads chances are a head gasket has been damaged but you never know
I only put in a new rad about 2 years ago. I’ve had issues with overheating since I bought the car and it’s a constant problem. Would like to get it done properly as would like some more power in her. Just need some ideas of what to do and where to get it done as I’m not well clued up on this kind of thing

I only put in a new rad about 2 years ago. I’ve had issues with overheating since I bought the car and it’s a constant problem. Would like to get it done properly as would like some more power in her. Just need some ideas of what to do and where to get it done as I’m not well clued up on this kind of thing
There's stuff you can buy that tests the coolant in the rad for c02 from a headgasket leak, like a test tube with liquid that changes colour if c02 is present and also a compression test to see the overall health of the engine

Sorry to hear Gerry. As mentioned a compression test would be the first thing I think would help to narrow down the issue.

With regards rebuilding the engine thankfully there are options and builders these days that can do it very efficiently. You'd have plenty of ways to chose from a standard rebuild, upgraded parts or even a new build short block if your head cylinders are still good.

Which end of the country are you based?

Sorry to hear Gerry. As mentioned a compression test would be the first thing I think would help to narrow down the issue.

With regards rebuilding the engine thankfully there are options and builders these days that can do it very efficiently. You'd have plenty of ways to chose from a standard rebuild, upgraded parts or even a new build short block if your head cylinders are still good.

Which end of the country are you based?
I’m based in cork so preferably looking for someone in the county and can give me some options as I’m unsure what to do

Hi gerry give the lads at mark murphy motors a call, a good few of us lads here in cork have been using them for years, I'm getting some work done with them myself next week..

Screenshot_20230706-215852_Chrome.jpg

Cheers for that. Il give them a try
If them lads are busy or whatever try out that c02 test yourself, good video here showing how it's done pretty simple to understand. Fairly sure most motor factors will have something similar but I'm unsure how much they usually sell for.

Back