Importing a Subaru from Malta, their right hand drive so why not?

E

ericsti

Just a thought,

I saw on ScoobyIreland that one of their lads meet a fella today in a garage that had a MY08 STi, He got talking to him because it had 18" wheels instead of the 17" ones that come on the uk spec cars now it also had push button start with isn't on the UK car neither, all this are standard on the Irish cars "not that theres many of them. He had a few pics and this a right hand drive car! :dunno:

This got me thinking. :ponder:

As it's the same spec as the Irish car and a lad in Northern Ireland (where the cars are much cheaper then down here) went to the hastle of buying over there so it stands to reason that he got it cheaper again. :shock:

Has anyone here ever considered Malta as a place to buy their Subaru. I looked at http://www.subaru.com.mt/ which is the offical subaru site for Malta and their cars are defo right hand drive. I think that this would be worth a look at if anyone was thinking of buying and importing a subaru in the future. :dunno: Maybe. Might be worth a look. :D :subaru:

I know VRT would rip the sh*t out of you here still but it has to still be cheaper then buying here.

Sounds like a good idea...but.....I was in Malta bout a month ago for holidays, and the roads are absolutely shite.
One of the lads I live with is Maltese and they drive like lunatics! Road surface over there is very slippy too, and there
was plenty of messing! Their roads were as bad as the worst of our roads.
One more thing...its a very small island surrounded by sea, and most of the lads drive their cars on the beach, so rust is a bit of an issue on older cars from all the salt.

That said , it was peanuts cheap over there, so a newish car may be worth a look!

Thanks for the reply Scoobeydoo, yeah it's a newish car that I was posting about for anyone that might be looking in the future. I'd say it would be worth a look.

Was reading on scoobynet yesturday saying that u could no longer import cars from Malta to the uk no more.

I am not sure the exact procedure but there may be a grey area here over doing this, if you purchase a new car in Malta I am presuming one would have to pay the vat. When importing a brand new car into this country, the 21% vat will still apply along with the vrt on a brand new car. The car will have to be 6 months old plus have 6k kms up so you could be getting hit with a double taxation unless you can reclaim the vat in Malta on the new car. I would imagine one could if they were a trader or pay it net of vat but for a private purchase I am not sure.

Would it not be the same as Japan. The six month thing is there so just get a six month old car.

Yep exactly, you could buy a 6 month/6k km one and all would be good then.

Back